Josep Maria Bartomeu has spoken about Antoine Griezmann’s transfer to FC Barcelona.
The Antoine Griezmann transfer saga has taken off from where it landed last season. The speculations regarding his move became so bad that he was booed in Atletico Madrid’s final league game.
Last week, a report from AS claimed that Barcelona’s president, Josep Maria Bartomeu believes that there’s an agreement between Griezmann and Atletico Madrid. The agreement is regarding the Frenchman’s move to the Catalan side.
Bartomeu was asked about the Griezmann news in a radio interview on Wednesday.
He said, “As you will understand, I can not talk about this topic, we have the utmost respect for players who work at other clubs.”
Although, the president has expressed his desire to see Griezmann at the club.
“Out of respect for Atletico de Madrid, Griezmann has a contract in force and that is why I should not speak about it.” Bartomeu further added, “I would like (the player) to be here.”
Bartomeu emphasised that the club is currently assessing the progress of current season. “We will see the work that (general manager) Pep Segura, (youth academy head Jose Mari) Bakero and all his team have done with Ernesto Valverde during these months,” the president said.
Antoine Griezmann registered 19 La Liga goals this season. He also played a key role in the club’s Europa League triumph last week.
Bartomeu also said that the club has the next season is mind, but refused to talk about the plans. “Barça are working for next season and I can not say what we are doing, we have been working and we know what we have to do,” Bartomeu said.
It is important to note that Griezmann’s release clause will drop from €200m to €100m on July 1st. “I insist that we have to wait until July 1 because he is a player who has a contract in force with his club,” Bartomeu emphasised.