Records which Kohli broke during his 37th ODI century: The Indian captain smashed several records vs Windies today.
During the second match of the ongoing Windies’ tour of India at Visakhapatnam, Indian captain Virat Kohli played another first rate innings, a knock which aided him in breaking several ODI records.
Given his unbelievable run this year, in every match which he plays now, Kohli finds himself breaking records more often than not.
Having won the toss, Kohli chose to bat. India did not get off to the best of starts as they were reduced to 40-2 in the ninth over. In which was a blessing in disguise for India, it gave ample time to India’s No. 4 in Ambati Rayudu to press his case.
Kohli and Rayudu shared a 139-run partnership for the third wicket. Rayudu ended up scoring 73 (80) with the help of eight fours.
Kohli, on the other hand, continued to steer the Indian innings. Remaining unbeaten till the end, Kohli made sure that he finishes the innings for India after Mahendra Singh Dhoni (20) and Rishabh Pant (17) were dismissed cheaply.
Kohli ended up scoring 157* (129) with the help of 13 fours and four sixes as India put 321-6 on the board.
Below are the records which Kohli broke today:
1. Fastest to 10,000 ODI runs – Needing 81 runs to become the fastest batsman ever to score 10,000 ODI runs, Kohli made sure that he achieved the feat today. On the third delivery of the 37th over, Kohli hit a single off Ashley Nurse to achieve the milestone, becoming the 13th over and fifth Indian (after Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly Rahul Dravid, Dhoni) to score 10,000 ODI runs.
Kohli has achieved the feat in 204 innings. The record was earlier held by Tendulkar, who had scored 10,000 ODI runs in 258 innings.
2. Most runs for India – With 10,076 runs in 213 matches at an average of 59.62 and a strike rate of 92.85, Kohli has surpassed Dhoni (9,969) to reach the fourth spot in the list of highest run-scorer for India in ODIs.
3. Most runs against Windies by an Indian batsman – Before the start of the series, Kohli required 186 runs to surpass Sachin Tendulkar as the highest run-scorer by an Indian batsman against Windies in ODIs. Having scored a consecutive centuries in the first two ODIs, Kohli has scored 297 runs in the series so far.
Talking of most runs by an Indian batsman against Windies, Kohli now tops the chart with 1,684 runs in 29 matches at an average of 70.16 and a strike rate of 96.83.
4. Fastest Indian to score 4,000 ODI runs in India – Having completed 4,000 runs on the Indian soil, Kohli became the fastest India to do so. Kohli reached the landmark in only his 78th innings at home.
Other than Kohli, Sachin Tendulkar (6,976) and MS Dhoni (4,216) have more than 4,000 runs at home. Tendulkar had achieved the feat in 92 innings, whereas Dhoni took 99 innings to score 4,000 runs at home.
5. Most ODI centuries against Windies – Before the start of the series, Kohli had scored four ODI centuries against Windies. Having scored another two, he now has the most ODI centuries (6) against Windies. He has surpassed the South African trio of Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers and Herschelle Gibbs in this milestone.
Read some of the recent Twitter reactions on Kohli’s masterly innings:
Software update all the time. Virat Kohli has redefined what consistency means. Got his 9000th odi run just 11 innings ago and got his 10000 th today, to go with his 37th century. Enjoy the phenomena #KingKohli pic.twitter.com/OPhvIsBRDJ
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) October 24, 2018
— ESPNcricinfo (@ESPNcricinfo) October 24, 2018
— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) October 24, 2018
Fewest inns to 10000 ODI runs…
Inns (Mts) Batsman Achieved on
205 (213) Virat Kohli 24 Oct 2018
259 (266) Sachin Tendulkar 31 Mar 2001#IndvWI
13th batman & 5th Indian
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) October 24, 2018