AS Roma’s Tuesday night’s sensational comeback win over Barcelona will come with another disappointment for the Catalan fans.
Andres Iniesta has hinted that Barcelona’s dramatic 3-0 meltdown at the Stadio Olympico in Rome might have just been his last Champions League game with the Liga leaders.
Going in with a healthy 4-1 lead from the first leg, Barcelona blew away their 3-goal advantage as Edin Dzeko’s vital away goal made all the difference.
According to a report from Goal, Andres Iniesta has made a decision over his future and it is a realistic possibility that he will leave Barcelona in the summer.
Iniesta could decide that the time is right to leave Barca at the end of the season, with the 33-year-old due to inform his employers of his decision by April 30.
Although Iniesta remains an indispensable unit to the Barcelona squad, the emergence of Ivan Rakitic as a top player and the arrival of Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele has loomed speculations of Iniesta missing out on the starting XI spot.
Iniesta signed a “lifetime” contract with the Liga leaders in October, but admitted last month that he is considering a summer departure.
When he was asked after Tuesday’s loss in Rome whether he had featured for the final time in the Champions League, he said: “It’s possible.”
“I’m at the club of my life, the one that has given me everything and the warmth of the people,” he told Cadena SER last month.
“This situation is not easy, but I also understand that I am at a certain age and things change.
“Other doors open that are exciting in many ways.”
Having come through the youth ranks, Iniesta has made over 650 appearances for the first team since his debut in 2002.