Antoine Griezmann transfer news: Barcelona manager admits contact made for Atletico Madrid superstar as the French International confirmed his departure.
Antoine Griezmaan recently announced his departure from Atletico Madrid in a short clip dedicated to the fans. The announcement immediately fueled his transfer speculations to Barcelona.
Additionally, other European giants including Liverpool and Manchester City displayed their interest for the World Cup winning forward.
However, Barcelona still remained as the front-runners in his pursuit. Since, it was being reported that the Catalan club is ready to trigger £108 million release clause of Griezmann.
Furthermore, according to a report by Independent, Barcelona manager has confirmed the negotiations being made by the Blaugranas to hire the services of the 28-year-old forward.
“It is true we have already made contacts, it is true that contacts are ongoing, but the season isn’t over yet.” Valverde said.
“We have the Copa Del Rey final still to play. We have the chance of winning two titles and we must try to focus on this issue.”
“Afterwards we will have time for everything else – we won’t say anything new when we are talking about players from other teams. We will see (what happens). He (Griezmann) is a great player. We’ve always said so.” he further said.
Antoine Griezmann’s ability to play anywhere upfront makes him a lucrative player. Further, Luis Suarez dipping form, Philippe Coutinho’s underwhelming performances and Ousmanne Dembele’s injury concerns make the French International a viable option alongside Lionel Messi for Barcelona.
However, Lionel Messi is reportedly not in favour with Griezmann’s move to Barcelona as the public statement made by the latter during last summer has caused infuriation to the Barcelona Skipper for the Atletico Madrid forward.
Further, The Spanish publication Sport have also claimed that the whole squad of Barcelona are feeling ‘betrayed’ by Antoine Griezmann over the last year’s antics.
Nevertheless, further details of negotiations are yet to be declared but the statement by Valverde clarifies Barcelona’s intentions.
How twitter reacted
1️⃣. The Wing-Forward
2️⃣. The Valverde
3️⃣. The All-Out Attack
4️⃣. The Rotation
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 19, 2019
There are still doubts within the club about Griezmann. Some people want him and some do not. Valverde wants him at all costs and sees the Frenchman as the third piece of a trident with Messi and Suárez. [rac1] pic.twitter.com/eYtvrqbmyf
— barcacentre (@barcacentre) May 17, 2019
Solid sources say Griezmann told his director (Gil Marin) that Leo called him & he couldn’t say no to him.
Good to see Leo putting Suarez’s indisputable spot in jeopardy. Here’s hoping for another call to Bartomeu so that Valverde (& consequently Rakitic) leave too.
— Laportismo (@MoRosement) May 17, 2019
Can imagine the training session next season.
Valverde: "Guys, you are 1 hour late to traini…"
Dembele to Griezmann: "Bro can you believe they vaulted pump shotgun from the game? That shit is insane."
— Josip (@gentblaugrana93) May 15, 2019
I leave for exams one Week and I come back to Barca twitter wishing death to Valverde. And Griezmann coming.
— Julian (@ElaficionadoFC) May 14, 2019
Barcelona will face Valencia in the finale of Copa Del Rey on Saturday, the Catalan Club will attempt to secure a domestic double in the last match of their season.