Barcelona’s president Josep Bartomeu has spoken out about Philippe Coutinho’s future and Neymar’s return to Nou Camp.
There has been plenty of shuffles at Barcelona in recent years. Following the departure of Neymar, the Blaugrana were able to bring in two players – Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele.
The French International has been a star turner whenever he steps on the pitch, on the other hand, the former Liverpool midfielder’s form has been slightly worrying for the board. Recently, he has linked with a move to the Liverpool’s Premier League competitors Manchester United and Chelsea.
However, those transfers have been turned down by the Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu who reportedly have made it sure that they would want to keep hold of the Brazilian despite struggling to find his feet this season.
— Liverpool FC News (@LivEchoLFC) February 6, 2019
Speaking to Marca in an exclusive interview, Bartomeu spoke about Philippe Coutinho’s future at Nou Camp “It’s a bet from the club, we expect a lot from him, we do not want to sell him, he’s one of the good players we want to have.”
I have not spoken to Neymar, says Barca president Bartomeu. Where will the Brazilian superstar be playing next season? https://t.co/BmktTz4CR4
— Goal UK (@GoalUK) February 6, 2019
On the other hand, there has been plenty of rumours about Coutinho’s compatriot Neymar joining as a replacement for him at Nou Camp. The Brazilian, who is currently plying his trade with Paris Saint-Germain decided to move out of Barcelona in 2017.
However, the president was quick to deny any sorts of rumours and reiterated that they have not made any contact regarding the transfer with the former Barcelona forward and vice versa.
“He has never told me he wants to return to Barça since he left, neither he nor his father, he has never called me, we made a decision and signed Coutinho and Dembélé, they are younger and we are very happy with them. Over there”.
It looks like the 26-year-old will be certain to stay put at Parc des Princes, as Real Madrid are intensely linked with a move for Eden Hazard and their arch-rivals have denied any sorts of reports.
Ernesto Valverde, whose contract ends next summer is yet to put pen to paper. The Spanish International is one among the many reasons for Barcelona’s success off late.
“He has a contract for next year and is happy and strong to continue. And I want it to continue even if we do not win anything this season. Being a coach of Barça wears a lot, but I see him very well placed in the club. I saw him more serious last year. ” Bartomeu spoke of Valverde.
Jordi Alba, whose contract ends in 2020 just like his manager is yet to commit to the club. There have been various reports quoting that the club does not have much financial muscle after spending 90 million on Frenkie De Jong. Despite all these allegations, the president is convinced about his Barcelona’s future.
“There is no risk of Jordi Alba leaving, when two love each other so much in the end they understand each other” he said.