Cover Image for “Ben is sorry for his actions.”: Mendy Issues Apology After The City Defender Is Found Flouting COVID Norms

“Ben is sorry for his actions.”: Mendy Issues Apology After The City Defender Is Found Flouting COVID Norms

Gautam Kapoor
|Sun Jan 03 2021


“Ben is sorry for his actions.”: Mendy Issues Apology After The City Defender Is Found Flouting COVID Norms: The City defender has become the latest player to be out breaking Coronavirus protocols

There’s just something so inexplicable about COVIDIOTS that it starts gets bemusing after a point. Despite being well versed with the nitty gritties of the pandemics, these fools continue to put those around them at risk to indulge in their own antics.

The Premier League in particular has become a breeding point of such perplexing people with footballers violating the COVID guidelines set in place by the club at will. Its led to a horrendous outbreak of cases in the league with parties being organised during the Christmas and new year period.

One of the most affected clubs at the moment, its becoming increasingly clear why Manchester City currently are bereft of the services of five players who are all down with the disease. There’s been a complete disregard of the COVID norms by members of the squad with Benjamin Mendy emerging as one such COVID rule breaker.

Mendy Issues Apology

The fullback has been pictured celebrating new year at his residence with the player inviting people from outside his bio-bubble. Apart from his partner, nephew and niece, Mendy’s 31st night party also included two of his friends and a chef, people outside of his bubble.

Facing massive backlash since the news has emerged, Mendy has been quick to try and pour cold over the situation. In a bid to douse his gaffe, the player has issued an apology for his actions.

A spokesperson for Mendy said: “Benjamin and his partner allowed a chef and two friends of his partner to attend his property for a dinner party on New Year’s Eve.

“Ben accepts that this is a breach of Covid-19 protocols and is sorry for his actions in this matter. Ben has had a Covid test and is liaising with Manchester City about this.”

A statement from Manchester City read: “The club is aware of a New Year’s Eve covid-19 breach involving Benjamin Mendy and the subsequent media reporting of it.

“While it is understood that elements of this incident have been misinterpreted in the reports, and that the player has publicly apologised for his error, the club is disappointed to learn of the transgression and will be conducting an internal investigation.”

City are currently without Walker, Jesus, Ederson and two unnamed players for their impending outing against Chelsea. The club had previously seen its fixture with Everton be curtailed after a spurt of new cases.

Pep had earlier spoken about the importance of ensuring rules were strictly adhered to by members of his team.

We spoke every day to the players – be careful, stay at home, don’t be in contact other people and do what you have to do,” Guardiola said. “Follow the scientists and the measures we have to follow, try to follow them.”

Also Read: Arsenal Working On Julian Brandt Deal


About the author
Gautam Kapoor

Gautam Kapoor

Pouring perusal into the sports and cricketing fraternity by traversing through a plethora of issues, developments, players and teams. Scouring and imbibing all the disciplines and verticals of sports to hearld in a seamless blend of articles that intertwine engrossing reports and matches.

Read more from Gautam Kapoor