Sporting CP president Frederico Varandas has claimed that Bruno Fernandes will become the costliest sale from Sporting ever.
Sporting CP President Frederico Varandas has claimed that Bruno Fernandes is on the course of becoming the costliest sale in the club’s history. The Portuguese International has been linked with a host of European clubs including Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, and Inter Milan.
The Portuguese outfit are demanding a fee of 70 million for his signature in the summer transfer window. Frederico Varandas has just confirmed his transfer and the club is resigned to losing him after interest from several clubs.
Varandas said: “It could be the most expensive sale of Sporting,” he said.
“The most expensive so far was João Mário, for €40m (£36m). There have been only talks for Bruno Fernandes, for now.
“I can only say that if a player leaves that can earn us millions, we will be prepared to attack the market. Always in a sustained way. I want Bruno Fernandes to stay, but everyone knows the current situation.”
The 24-year-old attacking midfielder enjoyed a wonderful season in Liga NOS, scoring 20 goals and registering a further 13 assists as Sporting Lisbon recorded a third-place finish. United’s midfield struggled to make an impression last season, with even Paul Pogba’s impressive return coming under scrutiny.
Not only did the Frenchman score more goals (13) and register more assists (9) in the Premier League than any other Man Utd player last season, but he also created more chances (55) and completed more dribbles (60), exerting a massive attacking influence over the Red Devils.
However, many United fans have often questioned his mentality and commitment, with things spilling over on the final day of the season as Pogba confronted some angry supporters at Old Trafford following a 2-0 defeat to Cardiff City.
As such, he is now being linked with a move to Real Madrid, who are spending big this summer in a bid to topple Barcelona at the top of La Liga and win a fifth Champions League crown in seven years.
Here’s how Twitter has reacted..
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) July 4, 2019
Bruno Fernandes’ agent, Miguel Pinho, is flying to England today to receive the first official offers for him. Offers are expected to come from #mufc, Spurs and Liverpool. United are showing the most interest and are the likely destination #mulive [a bola, o jogo, @Sport_Witness]
— utdreport (@utdreport) July 3, 2019
United are now turning their attention to midfield, with Bruno Fernandes and Sean Longstaff among their top targets. #mufc [ESPN]
— United Xtra (@utdxtra) June 28, 2019
#MUFC do need a centreback. I dont doubt that. But we also need a creative force in the final third and I believe Bruno Fernandes is that player. I’ve said it for months. He would be the puppet master of our attack. He can pull all the strings.
— Rob Blanchette (@_Rob_B) July 2, 2019
Nobody has a clue about the future of Bruno Fernandes.