F1 FP2 Results have surprisingly gone in favour of Racing Point’s Lance Stroll, but reigning champion Lewis Hamilton only managing fifth.
The Formula One 2020 British Grand Prix Free Practice 2 is done, with Lance Stroll finishing with the fastest lap time.
Racing Point had an impressive session with Stroll’s teammate Nico Hulkenberg finishing 7th fastest. Hulkenberg is making a return to Formula One to replace the Covid-19 positive Sergio Perez.
Red Bull’s Alex Albon finished 2nd fastest, with Mercedes’ Valterri Bottas clocking the third fastest lap time in the session. Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton – Albon and Bottas’ teammates respectively – clocked the 14th and 5th fastest time respectively.
Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel torrid final season at Ferrari continues, as he clocked the 3rd slowest time with P18. This after he crashed out of Free Practice 1 with a “No Time” classification.
His teammate Charles Leclerc did well to finished 4th fastest, while Vettel’s replacement at Ferrari next season Carlos Sainz was P6.
Vettel missed out on any testing time during FP1, due to an issue with the car and it seems the car wasn’t rectified for FP2 as well. It seems it is going to be a long night at the factory for the Ferrari mechanics.
F1 FP1 Results Silverstone GP
- Lance Stroll Racing Point 1:27.274
- Alex Albon Red Bull Racing +0.090
- Valtteri Bottas Mercedes +0.157
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.296
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.307
- Carlos Sainz McLaren +0.546
- Nico Hulkenburg Racing Point +0.636
- Pierre Gasly Alpha Tauri +0.723
- Daniel Ricciardo Renault +0.838
- Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo +0.885
- Lando Norris McLaren +0.895
- Esteban Ocon Renault +0.945
- Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo +0.982
- Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +1.116
- Daniil Kvyat Alpha Tauri +1.152
- Romain Grosjean Haas +1.290
- George Russell Williams +1.497
- Sebastian Vettel Ferrari +1.586
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.624
- Nicholas Latifi Williams +2.684
CLASSIFICATION: END OF FP2
— Formula 1 (@F1) July 31, 2020
What to look forward in tomorrow’s qualifying session at Silverstone?
There seems to be intense competition for the podium between Mercedes, Racing Point and Red Bull Racing. Hamilton, Bottas, Stroll, Hulkenberg, Albon and Verstappen look set to compete among each other for the Top 3 slots this weekend.
Elsewhere, Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel are struggling, but Charles Leclerc is pushing above his weight and could be among the points. Renault, McLaren and AlphaTauri are expected to compete for the Top 10 classification.