The Ligue 1 defender was on the anvil of securing a switch to the Premier League
As injuries riddled them and Liverpool saw almost every viable option for the CB role sit on the sidelines, the club hastily engaged in hectic negotiations to bolster its backline. The Premier League side was linked to a slew of names in the final days of the January transfer window as the club clamoured for suitable options.
While the club in the end settled for Ozan Kabak from Schalke who joined on loan till the end of the season and Ben Davis who secured a permanent transfer from Preston, the club had turned its attention elsewhere previously. Marseille’s Duje Caleta-Car was the first name the side had identified to solve the crisis it found itself in.
Despite Liverpool arranging a plane for the 24 year old CB with him on the brink of switching to greener pastures, a deal had failed to materialise. Duje was said to be downtrodden with Marseille’s refusal to release him with the Ligue 1 side failing to nail down on a replacement.
The defender has finally opened up on the calamitous set of events. Speaking ahead of RB Leipzig and Liverpool’s matchup in the round of 16 of the Champions League, Duje shed light on the offer he had received from Liverpool.
Duje Talks About Liverpool Offer
“Today, there’s the Champions League and I’m going to watch both games,” Duje Caleta-Car said on Tuesday.
“I received an offer from Liverpool. It was an honour for me to know that such a club wanted me. We decided that I would stay. Marseille are also a great club and I’ve still got a lot of progress to undergo here.”
“I was really very happy to get an offer from them. Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world. ‘It could have been a great step in my career, but I’m happy at Marseille, who are also a great club, and we’ll see what happens.”