Records which Virat Kohli can break in the series: Sportsrush presents before you five records which Kohli can break in this series.
Post the rest given to him during the Asia Cup, Indian captain Virat Kohli will be back as India’s captain in the upcoming Test series against India. The first Test of the full tour will begin on this Thursday, i.e., October 4.
In the 10 Tests which Kohli has played against West Indies, he has scored 502 runs at an average of 38.61 and a strike rate of 53.86. By Kohli’s standards, the numbers might seem low to some people. It is also the truth for Kohli averages the least (in Tests) against West Indies. Also, it is the only team against whom Kohli has a Test average of less than 45.
Given the speed with which Kohli is chasing records across formats, he is all set to break a few additional records against West Indies. Despite the Test series comprising of a couple of matches, Kohli still has a great probability of achieving these feats. Considering his moderate returns in Tests against West Indies, one can expect him to come exceptionally good this time round.
Below are the four records which Kohli can break against West Indies:
1. Step up the ladder in the list of Most runs for India – In the 71 matches which Kohli has played, he has scored 6,147 runs at an average of 53.92. Kohli is currently at No. 9 in the list of most Test runs by Indian batsmen. If he scores 68 runs in these two Test matches, Kohli will surpass former captain Mohammad Azharuddin, who has 6,215 Test runs to his name.
2. Step up the ladder in the list of Most 50+ scores for India – In 71 matches, Kohli has scored 23 centuries and 19 half-centuries. Kohli is currently at No. 10 in the list of most 50+ scores by Indian batsmen. Kohli has a fair chance of both equaling and surpassing Azharuddin (43) once again in this series.
3. Step up the ladder in the list of Most centuries for India – In terms of scoring most Test centuries for India, Kohli is currently tied with Virender Sehwag as both the Delhi batsmen have scored 23 Test centuries for India.
4. Step up the ladder in the list of Most catches for India – In 71 Test matches and 134 innings on the field, Kohli has 67 catches under his belt. Currently, he is at No. 9 in the list of most catches for India. Kohli needs five more catches to surpass former captain Sourav Ganguly (71).
5. Step up the ladder in the list of Most catches for India against West Indies – In 10 Test matches, Kohli has 14 catches against West Indies. Kohli is currently at No. 9 in the list of most catches for India against West Indies. Kohli needs seven more catches to surpass Eknath Solkar (20) to jump at No. 2, only behind Rahul Dravid (26).
Below are some of the Twitter reactions on West Indies’ tour of India:
— Outlook Magazine (@Outlookindia) October 1, 2018
Did selectors talk to @karun126 while dropping him for the Test squad against @windiescricket? If the answer to this is no, then like the team management, even they have descended to making silly selection calls, opines @chetannarula #INDvsWIhttps://t.co/950oendukz
— FirstCricket (@FirstCric) October 1, 2018
— HT Sports (@HTSportsNews) October 1, 2018