Liverpool Vs Atletico Madrid Champions League game at Anfield to be investigated by Liverpool’s council amidst the Coronavirus scare.
Over 52,000 fans packed the Anfield on March 11 to witness the 2nd leg Champions League game between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid while the Coronavirus was spreading rapidly in Europe.
With 3,000 fans travelling from Madrid, a report by the Skysports claim that a mayor of Liverpool City Region had called for an independent inquiry into whether the match should have taken place.
A council spokesperson told Sky Sports News: “Liverpool City Council, alongside partners at the University of Liverpool and John Moores University, have agreed to explore any impact of COVID-19 as a result of the Atletico Madrid match at Anfield on March 11.”
“Liverpool City Council’s public health team, alongside partners, is currently assessing the size and scope of the project. As the city’s current focus is very much on dealing with the pandemic, no timescale or date has yet been set for the completion of the work and when it will be reported.”
The match between two sides was one of the last matches to be played in this edition of the Champions League before the tournament got suspended with the rising number of cases.
Moreover, it was the last match by any top-flight team in England as 48 hours later, all professional leagues were suspended by the English FA.
There has been no confirmed link between the match and any cases of coronavirus, but earlier this week the government’s deputy chief scientific adviser, Angela McLean, said it was an “interesting hypothesis” worthy of further study.
Liverpool faced an upset against Los Rojniblancos, as the defending champions were eliminated so early from the competition, Meanwhile, the suspension of the Premier League with uncertainty over the final outcome, fate has added salts to Liverpool’s wounds.