The nominees for the NFL Man of the Year award were released earlier this morning. Strangely though, the Jets’ nominee no longer plays for the team.
The full list of the 2020 Walter Payton Man of the Year nominees….The Jets nominee for Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year was cut in November and now plays for the Ravens. https://t.co/C5DhSyjahe pic.twitter.com/BSgRHJhLSq
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) December 10, 2020
Despite being cut from the Jets in November, veteran CB Pierre Desir is the team’s nominee for the award. Like his peers, Desir was selected for his outstanding effort towards community service.
One player from all 32 teams is nominated for their “outstanding community service activities off the field, as well as excellence on it,” and the winner is announced at the annual NFL Honors.
The winner will receive a $250,000 donation to a charity in their name, while the other 31 nominees will receive $40,000 for the same purpose.
Nominees Helped Communities Through Tough Times in 2020
The award is named after the late and great Bears RB Walter Payton who was known for his impact on the community as well as being one of the most dominant players at his position.
With the coronavirus pandemic, this year was a challenging one. That’s why this year, more than any other in recent history, athletes stepped up and lended a helping hand.
For the same reason, the award has special implications this time around. “This year has presented significant challenges for us all, from the ongoing global pandemic to the continued social injustices witnessed this year,” said commissioner Goodell.
“The 32 Walter Payton Man of the Year nominees remind us that even in the face of adversity, players continue to raise awareness and use their voice and platform to positively impact their communities. The nominees will leave lasting legacies across the country in a time when we need leadership and strength the most.”
List of all 32 Nominees for NFL Man of the Year
- Corey Peters, Arizona Cardinals
- Steven Means, Atlanta Falcons
- Bradley Bozeman, Baltimore Ravens
- Harrison Phillips, Buffalo Bills
- Shaq Thompson, Carolina Panthers
- Jimmy Graham, Chicago Bears
- Geno Atkins, Cincinnati Bengals
- Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns
- Jaylon Smith, Dallas Cowboys
- Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos
- Trey Flowers, Detroit Lions
- Corey Linsley, Green Bay Packers
- Michael Thomas, Houston Texans
- Jacoby Brissett, Indianapolis Colts
- Josh Lambo, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs
- Alec Ingold, Las Vegas Raiders
- Isaac Rochell, Los Angeles Chargers
- Andrew Whitworth, Los Angeles Rams
- Byron Jones, Miami Dolphins
- Eric Kendricks, Minnesota Vikings
- Devin McCourty, New England Patriots
- Demario Davis, New Orleans Saints
- Dalvin Tomlinson, New York Giants
- Pierre Desir, New York Jets
- Rodney McLeod, Philadelphia Eagles
- Vance McDonald, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Arik Armstead, San Francisco 49ers
- Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
- Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans
- Jonathan Allen, Washington Football Team