Nikola Milenkovic to United: Manchester United reportedly have a bid rejected, and will approach the club in January, for the defender.
Manchester United didn’t make the best of starts in the Premier League this season. The club is currently 8th in the league with 13 points. Moreover, Jose Mourinho’s side conceded losses to Brighton and West Ham in the league, and lower-league side Derby County in their first match of Carabao Cup.
The season was further marred with controversy, as midfielder Paul Pogba has overtly criticized the manager’s tactics in post-match interviews. After the defeat to Derby County, Mourinho and Pogba were caught arguing during a training session.
Goals have dried up for the club, as United has a goal difference of -1 in the league. Romelu Lukaku and Marcus Rashford have missed significant chances in front of the goal this season.
Jose Mourinho is also facing issues with his defence. Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof have been underwhelming this season so far, and the manager has even tried Scott McTominay, and for the second half against Newcastle, Paul Pogba in central defence.
According to Italian newspaper La Nazione, Manchester United are keen on signing Nikola Milenkovic.
Nikola Milenkovic to United:
Reports in Italy claim that Manchester United have reportedly made a €60m bid for the player, which is rejected by Fiorentina.
“Milenkovic is better than Vidic with the ball at his feet, and he is much calmer on the field,” journalist Dejan Stankovic told ESPN in August. “He is the most talented centre-back Serbia have had since Vidic, and they definitely have one thing in common – both are fearless.” pic.twitter.com/06khWqzCzQ
— FergieTime™️ (@SSIIIIUUUU) October 13, 2018
Jose Mourinho saw the player during the game between Serbia and Montenegro, and ‘was so convinced’ with the defender that he told the Manchester United executives to make a move for the player.
Manchester United received the go-ahead from the players’ agent and submitted the bid in January. However, as United saw the bid rejected, the club is planning on a more convincing bid/argument in January.
According to multiple reports, José Mourinho was at the Serbia vs Montenegro match. It was reported that he was on scouting trip. It was said he was scouting Serie A double Nikola Milenkovic and Savic. #Serbia #Mourinho #MUFC #Fiorentina #Lazio #InternationalBreak pic.twitter.com/QaQh2iM2uh
— Himmatt🇾🇪 (@FootyHimmatt7) October 12, 2018
The 21-year-old defender’s contract with Fiorentina expires in 2022. He joined the club in 2017 and played for Serbia in the World Cup 2018. He was widely regarded as the best performer for the country, and arguably the best defender in the group stages of the tournament.
Milinkovic-Savic: “I’m a Lazio player, but it’s obvious that I was pleased that a coach of his stature (Mourinho) came to see the game. I read a bit everywhere he was here at the stadium to see me play. Maybe he wasn’t here for me, but for someone else.” #mufc [Calciomercato]
— United Xtra (@utdxtra) October 12, 2018
Manchester United returns to Premier League action on Saturday next week as they take on Chelsea. They will then host Juventus, which might see the return of Cristiano Ronaldo to Old Trafford.