Ronaldo on sexual assault allegations: The Portuguese forward has been accused of rape by 34-year old Kathryn Mayorga.
Kathryn Mayorga, 34, accused Ronaldo of the serious sexual assault in September last year. She says, as quoted by German publication Der Spiegel, that the current Juventus forward raped her in a suite in Las Vegas in 2009.
This was the first time when Mayorga spoke publically on the incident, revealing details about what happened between her and Ronaldo in the hotel suite.
Mayorga’s lawyer’s claims rely on the part of the document which includes Ronaldo’s description of the incidents inside the suite.
In the document possessed by the lawyer, Ronaldo is quoted as saying, “She said no and stop several times.”
In the week following the accusations made by Mayorga, Ronaldo released a video statement denying the allegations. “What they said today [is] fake, fake news. They want to promote by my name. It’s normal, they want to be famous by saying my name. But it’s part of my job. I’m a happy man,” said the Juventus forward.
In an interview, (quoted by Football Italia) Ronaldo spoke about the allegations again.
Ronaldo on sexual assault allegations:
Cristiano Ronaldo stated that the allegations caused ‘pain’ for his family, but defended his conscience.
“The rape accusations are repugnant and painful for my family, but I have a clear conscience and I remain calm,” Ronaldo said.
“The truth will come out soon,” he concluded.
I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in. Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) October 3, 2018
.@Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus. 1/1
— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) October 4, 2018
On October 3 last year, Cristiano Ronaldo issued an official statement on social media platform Twitter, where he denied the allegations.
“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.
“Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.”
Ronaldo 'admitted his rape accuser said no multiple times and he apologised after they had sex', leaked legal documents allege as she files a new civil action against Juventus star https://t.co/f954wfo6rA pic.twitter.com/UurmRV8h2M
— MailOnline Sport (@MailSport) December 1, 2018
Really weird how Cristiano Ronaldo is under investigation in the U.S. for rape and almost no one is talking about it. https://t.co/QscWzJ8aEk
— Ryan Kearney (@rkearney) January 2, 2019
There will likely be a long legal battle between the lawyers of Ronaldo and Kathryn Mayorga. The 34-year-old Mayorga’s position is weakened due to a non-disclosure agreement she signed in 2010 as part of an out-of-court settlement.
In order to advance the lawsuit, Mayorga’s lawyers need to convince the Las Vegas court to invalidate the settlement.