The UEFA bigwig issued a strongly worded and bitter statement on Monday
The last day has seen massive upheaval in the world of football. From UEFA revealing a brand new 100 match format to 12 clubs launching a completely new Super League, the arena has been set alight by a raft of developments.
Its lead to massive brawls with UEFA, FA, FIFA and major boards all uniting against the European Super League. The governing councils have come out with a slew of decisions in a bid to curb the breakaway league including threatening a ban of twelve clubs in the big competitions.
UEFA’s president, Aleksaner Ceferin has been the latest to lend his voice in support of banning the Super League. Ceferin issued a scathing assessment of the Super League on Monday as he claimed the league was a spit in the face of football lovers.
Ceferin Disgusted With Super League
“I cannot stress more strongly at this moment UEFA and the footballing world stand united against the disgraceful, self-serving proposal we have seen in the last 24 hours from a select few clubs in Europe that are fuelled purely by greed above all else. And not only football is united, all the society is united, governments are united, it’s part of our culture, we are all united against this nonsense of a project,” Ceferin said.
“We have the English FA, Spanish federation, Italian federation, Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, but also FIFA, all our 55 member associations unanimous in our opposition to these cynical plans, that are completely against what football should be. Our game has become the greatest sport in the world based on open competition, integrity and sporting merit, and we cannot allow and we will not allow that to change. Never, ever.
“As previously announced by FIFA and the six federations, the players who will play in teams that might play in the closed league will be banned from playing in the World Cup and Euros, so they will not be able to represent their national teams at any matches, so we urge everyone from the millions of football lovers around the world, the world’s media gathered on this call today, politicians and football’s governing bodies to stand tall with us, as we do everything in our power to ensure this never ends up in fruition.
“I wholeheartedly believe – we all do – that the changes we announce now are exactly the required next step in football’s evolution,” he said. “They are exciting, and in their heart retain the values of the game we all love. We will also be introducing a new support structure, built on a revised financial model, that boosts revenues for participants and importantly sees solidarity payments increase as well, driving a positive impact across the European game right down to the grassroots.