Sebastian Vettel to Mercedes: Valterri Bottas breaks silence over his allegedly endangered career at Mercedes amidst Vettel joining the team.
The announced departure of Sebastian Vettel triggered multiple rumours regarding his future and Mercedes was highly linked with German driver and it was rumoured Vettel will probably replace Valterri Bottas.
A few weeks later, Bottas has broken silence over his alleged departure from Mercedes and talks about the possibility of Vettel replacing him next season.
speaking on Wednesday’s Sky F1 Vodcast, Bottas, who has effectively been on one-year rolling contracts since joining Mercedes in 2017, said he found much of the speculation “funny”.
“It’s the same as every year for me,” the Finn said. “I find it quite funny that with not even a single race done, there’s been people getting my seat. It made me laugh! So there’s no pressure from that side.
“I have my clear goal for the season in my mind and that’s it. Things will then sort themselves one way or another, whatever’s going to happen. I’ve no stress about that at all.”
Bottas added that the surprise availability of Vettel, the four-time world champion who is leaving Ferrari, on the driver market didn’t concern him as – despite Wolff’s comments last week – Mercedes had given him assurances.
“It doesn’t get to you,” an adamant Bottas stated. “We’ve been very honest about what the situation is all the time about contracts, and I got a pretty straight message that no, they’re not considering Sebastian. So I said fine, no worries then.”
On the contrary, Toto Wolff spoke differently to the media on this matter and also talked about the possibility of bringing in George Russel to the team in the near future.