After an embarrassing loss in the finals of the recently concluded Champions Trophy, Team India should look at some replacements in the batting order who will provide stability to the team. Insight of ICC World Cup 2019 the Indian Team should also think about the possible alternatives for their ever growing veterans ,Yuvraj Singh and MS Dhoni. In that prospect Rishabh Pant could turn out to be an obvious choice.
Rishabh Pant, the 19-year old wicket keeper batsman has already created a place for his name with his explosive batting in the U19 World Cup 2016. Playing for Delhi Daredevils in this season’s IPL the left hander has showcased is class once again by notching up 366 runs at an outstanding strike rate of 165.61. Let us have a look at his abilities which can make him a great player at the International circuit.
Here are some of the reasons why Pant should make it to the playing XI:
1) Adding to his aggressive batting skills, there is a decent wicket keeper in this lad. This prospect of his keeps him in contention to become an heir to MSD’s legacy behind the stumps. He proved himself at the longest format of the game by smashing 961 runs at a strike rate of more than run a ball- showing his sustainability for longer amount of time along with his hitting prowess. Though his glove work should be improved-one can definitely say that it develops as the time goes along.
2) At the outset a lot of his shots make a striking resemblance to MS Dhoni’s, a sort of lateral inversion of the former captain’s shots, along with his effortlessness. Watching him go on the leg side with his lazy elegance –reminds us of the vintage Yuvraj Singh. During the IPL even the Master Blaster has been quoted saying that Rishabh is a mix of India’s finest left handers in Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina. With his eternal batting skills smashing all around the park the 19- year old makes himself ready for challenges at the International Arena.
3) In the 2016 IPL season the Wicket Keeper as shown that he is a good outfielder too while his team mate Quinton De Kock was handed the duty of keeping wickets. As many cricketing experts feel MS Dhoni should continue till the end of the world cup-accounting for his experience, adding decent fielding efforts to his game, the left hander should replace another left hander Yuvi.
4) With the top order scoring the bulk amount of runs ,Team India need someone in the middle order who could up the ante from ball one and stay till the end of the innings. Pant nevertheless being explosive and quite consistent in the middle order makes a knock at the selector’s door once again. He has shown his ability to turn the match on its head when he smashed a 43-ball 97 to lead his side to a victory while chasing a score of 209 in this season’s IPL.
5) With the ICC mega event is just two years away from now, the Indian team management must find a place for him in the XI-to gain him some experience and confidence to perform at the highest level. By the amount of talent he possesses the batsman in Pant should make it into the side in the ongoing Windies tour in place of Yuvraj Singh. As the Windies aren’t frightening anymore India must look at testing their bench strength by playing the youngsters in place of the seniors – which should include dropping Mahi and bringing in the Wicket Keeper batsman ,Rishabh Pant .