Mohammad Shahzad’s contract suspended: The problems seem to be piling on for the Afghanistani wicket-keeper batsman.
There seems to be no end to Afghanistan wicket-keeper batsman Mohammad Shahzad’s problems. It all started with Shahzad being sent home midway during the recently concluded ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Initially, it was announced that Shahzad was ruled out because of an injury.
That being said, Shahzad took to his Twitter account to accuse ACB (Afghanistan Cricket Board) officials of a conspiracy against him for removing him out from the national team. ACB CEO Asadullah Khan had rubbished all such reports of a conspiracy against Shahzad.
“What he [Mohammad Shahzad] is saying is completely wrong. A proper medical report to the ICC was submitted and then only his replacement was announced. The team could not have fielded an unfit player. I understand he is upset at not being part of World Cup anymore but the team could not have compromised on his fitness,” Khan was quoted as saying.
Mohammad Shahzad’s contract suspended
Coming on the back of the aforementioned debacle, Shahzad’s annual contract has now been suspended for an indefinite period of time. The press release about the same had comprised of Shahzad being found repeatedly guilty of travelling out of the country without seeking the board’s permission.
Afghanistan Cricket Board suspends Afghan batsman Mohammad Shahzad’s contract for “continued violation” of principles of the administration: TOLO News (File pic) pic.twitter.com/sDfGFXqyjQ
— ANI (@ANI) August 10, 2019
“Mohammad Shahzad has also breached the ACB Code of Conduct previously and was recently called for questioning by the ACB Discipline Committee in relation to a disciplinary matter during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Mohammad Shahzad did not attend meetings scheduled with the Discipline Committee on 20th and 25th of last month,” the release said.
In the two matches which Shahzad played in the World Cup, he ended up scoring 0 and 7 respectively.