Nadal vs Medvedev h2h: Complete Nadal vs Medvedev head to head statistics ahead of their U.S Open 2019 Final encounter this Sunday.
Rafael Nadal has made it to another Major Final and now has the opportunity to extend his Grand Slam tally to 19. He is currently only behind Roger Federer who has 20 to his name. However, 23-year old Daniil Medvedev will hope to play spoilsport this Sunday.
Medvedev has long been touted as a successor to the big 3 (Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Nadal) and the Russian has lived to the billing. He has played in 7 finals this year and the U.S Open final will be his 4th in a row.
Nadal has however played 26 Major finals and the match at the Arthur Stadium on Sunday will be his 27th. Medvedev on the other hand, will play his first Major Final.
Nadal vs Medvedev h2h
Nadal and Medvedev have only played each other once before. They went head to head against each other last month in the Rogers Cup final at Montreal. The Spaniard swept the young Russian in two straight sets winning the match 6-3 and 6-0. However, Medvedev has stepped up his games ever since.
Trivia regarding the U.S Open Final 2019
He is yet to lose a match since the final at Montreal. He has won 20 of the 22 matches he has played since Wimbledon and conquered Cincinnati before reaching the U.S Open Final. In the process he has crossed a few milestones.
- He is now only the third player behind Ivan Lendl and Andre Agassi to reach the finals of all four tournaments in the North American hard-court season (Washington D.C, Montreal, Cincinnati and New York).
- Daniil Medvedev is the youngest male Grand Slam finalist for nine years.
- He is the first Russian in a Grand Slam final since Marat Safin won the 2005 Australian Open title.
- He is also the first Russian to reach the US Open final since Safin won the 2000 crown.
There are some more interesting statistics too if he goes on to win the U.S Open
- If he wins on Sunday, he will become the first ’90s-born Slam winner.
- Should he win on Sunday, he will also become the first player outside the Big Three to win a major championship since Stan Wawrinka at the 2016 U.S. Open, a span of 11 Grand Slam tournaments.
Nadal himself has some interesting statistics surrounding the final of the last Grand Slam of the year.
- In the last 6 years, Nadal has only won one Grand Slam outside of the French Open. It was the U.S open back in 2017.
- This is the fifth time in his career Nadal is the only one of the Big 3 to reach a Grand Slam semi-final. On all previous four occasions, he has gone on to win the title (2010, 2017-18 Roland Garros, 2017 US Open).
Style of Play
Daniil Medvedev has a big serve and can cover the court with his giant strides. Doing so allows him to continuously serve the ball back. The Russian has a very unconventional style of play that sees him sacrifice attractiveness for effectiveness.
Nadal on the other hand plays a very aggressive game from behind the baseline. He is very athletic and fast. However, age has slowed him down a little. Regardless he is still an excellent player. He is very dangerous on the run and can construct winning plays from defensive positions.
Nadal may have overcome the Russian in their previous match. However, it looks like Medvedev is much more prepared than he was the last time around. It is a very open game that will test Nadal’s physicality against Medvedev’s temperament.
Click here for more sport news.