Neymar transfer news: The speculations over Neymar’s alleged move to Barcelona have picked up the pace in the January transfer window.
Neymar left Barcelona in the summer of 2017 in a mega-money move to Paris Saint Germain.
The forward joined the French side in a 222 million euros deal. However, the speculations surrounding Neymar’s comeback to Barcelona have increased significantly over the last few weeks.
El Mundo published a report earlier this month that Neymar is ‘desperate’ for a move to Barcelona, and has had communication with Barcelona on five occasions to discuss a potential transfer back to Catalan side.
Neymar’s father, however, stated in an Instagram post that the news is fake, and Neymar himself commented on the story after PSG’s Ligue 1 game against Amiens SC, which ended in a 3-0 win for the French champions.
And now, the Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde has opened up on the speculations as well.
Neymar transfer news:
Valverde responded to the Neymar’s transfer news against Barcelona, stating that the club hasn’t had contact with Neymar or his representatives.
“In the first place, that’s not the case, and Neymar left because that’s what he decided, and from there we have nothing more to say,” he told reporters.
‼️ Neymar’s dad/agent denies the report that emerged yesterday from El Mundo stating Neymar ‘was begging Barcelona for a return to the Camp Nou’.
❌ The rumor was denied by Neymar’s father on Instagram, and Neymar then liked the post, possibly to confirm his dad’s words. pic.twitter.com/W4i2ObOfZQ
— Omar 🎗️ (@Blaugranagram) January 11, 2019
Valverde: “We have had no conversations about Neymar…nobody has spoken to me about this, there are no phone calls.
There is always news and rumours – but simply put, he is not our player.” pic.twitter.com/bixS9LDQ7z
— totalBarça (@totalBarca) January 13, 2019
“We never talked about players who have contracts with other clubs, at the time he decided to leave Barca, a completely legitimate decision on his part.”
Earlier, Barcelona’s sporting director Pep Segura also quashed the rumours surrounding Neymar’s return to Barcelona. He stated that the Brazilian forward was never in the transfer market to be considered for bidding.
“All players who are in the market are likely to come if they fit our needs,” Segura told La Vanguardia in an interview about the ongoing transfer window.
“Today, Neymar is not in the market.”
🎙 Valverde: “Neymar is a great player but now he’s at another club. There’s nothing more to say. Nobody has phoned me I can guarantee you that. He’s a PSG player, we respect the players, we respect PSG.” pic.twitter.com/CChexim26b
— FC Barcelona Fl 🏆 (@FCBarcelonaFl) January 12, 2019
Barcelona transfer news: Neymar return played down by Ernesto Valverde #epl: The Paris Saint-Germain forward’s father has reportedly approached the Blaugrana in hope of the Spanish club taking his son back to the Nou Camp… https://t.co/95S3lteUG4 pic.twitter.com/N6jULdezc8
— EPL Feeds (@eplfeeds) January 16, 2019
Segura also insisted that the club would’ve ‘considered’ a possibility to bring Neymar back to Barcelona if he was in the market.
“If one day there is a possibility, does anyone believe that a club like Barca does not have to consider it?”