Falcons Linebacker Barkevious Mingo was cut by the team after recent reports of his involvement in an “indecency with a child” case. Mingo was released from jail on $25,000 bond.
Arlington police arrested Mingo on Thursday on a second-degree felony charge. The charge relates to “engaging in sexual contact with someone younger than 17 years of age or causing the child to engage in sexual contact.”
Arlington police released this information about Falcons defensive end Barkevious Mingo, who was arrested today on one count of Indecency with a Child – Sexual Contact.
Mingo turned himself in, and has posted bond. pic.twitter.com/HPr8sfX04t
— Mike Leslie (@MikeLeslieWFAA) July 10, 2021
If convicted, Mingo could face up to 20 years in prison. Arlington Police did release a statement but they said that they could provide no further information about the investigation, citing “the nature of the charges and age of the victim.”
The Atlanta Falcons released a statement on Mingo and his allegations.
The Falcons signed Mingo to a 1-year contract in March. However, ever since Barkevious turned himself in, the Falcons have terminated his contract.
“After being made aware today of allegations involving Barkevious Mingo and gathering information on the matter, the Atlanta Falcons have terminated his contract,” the team said in a statement late Saturday night.
We have terminated the contract of Barkevious Mingo. https://t.co/31p1hfgJF0
— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) July 11, 2021
Mingo posted bond in Tarrant County, Texas.
Mingo’s attorney, Lukas Garcia, called the allegations “completely baseless” in a statement given to multiple outlets.
“At this stage, our side has very limited information,” Garcia said. “What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim. And we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive.”
A statement from the Lukas Garcia, attorney for #Falcons LB Barkevious Mingo, who was recently charged with indecency with a child. Garcia calls the charge “completely baseless: pic.twitter.com/OksG4Xe414
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 10, 2021
Mingo was once upon a time a promising first-round pick for the Browns in 2013. Since then he has bounced around the league playing for the New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans, and Chicago bears