Ollie Watkins Open to Al-Hilal Move as Aston Villa Target Nicolas Jackson Replacement
Ollie Watkins is at the center of a transfer saga that could reshape Aston Villa’s attack before the summer window closes. Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal has made a formal offer worth €45 million (£38.5 million) for the England striker.
Villa has so far rejected Al-Hilal’s approaches, but negotiations remain ongoing. Importantly, Watkins is said to be keen on the move.
Al-Hilal is set to release striker Karim Benzema after signing the Frenchman at the start of the year. They are also looking to offload Darwin Nunez, with the former Liverpool man failing to settle after his move last year.
That frees up space in the squad for international recruits. Each Saudi club may only register up to 8 foreign senior players.
Watkins’ Situation at Aston Villa
Watkins is Villa’s all-time leading scorer in the Premier League, with 108 goals in 278 appearances since arriving from Brentford in 2020. Last season, after a slow start, he produced 21 goals and five assists across 55 games as Unai Emery’s side won the Europa League and secured Champions League football.
He has two years left on his contract, having last signed fresh terms in October 2023. He may favor a move to another Premier League side, but those options may have passed for the 30-year-old.
Manchester United explored a move for Watkins last summer before pivoting to Benjamin Sesko. Former Villa teammate Jhon Duran made the switch to Saudi Arabia in January 2025 at the same time as Arsenal were reportedly interested in Watkins.
Duran’s struggles indicate that it is not always smooth sailing in the league. He lasted just six months at Al Nassr alongside Cristiano Ronaldo. Watkins, however, is reportedly keen on the move, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
🚨🔵⚪️ Understand Ollie Watkins is keen on Al Hilal move as talks continue after €45m package bid to Aston Villa.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 19, 2026
Final decision up to Villa but player is open to the move while Villa assess strikers on the market, including Nico Jackson.
🎥➕ https://t.co/WbaLdV5bhv pic.twitter.com/Z3YMrNMtLl
Why Nicolas Jackson Changes the Equation
Nicolas Jackson is the piece that makes this whole situation move. Jackson has already signaled he is open to the move after spending last season on loan at Bayern Munich. Villa manager Emery is pushing to reunite with him after their time together at Villarreal.

Chelsea is reportedly seeking around €65 million for the Senegal international. Villa were interested last summer too, but wouldn’t meet Chelsea’s asking price then.
This time, the pursuit is being revived largely because Villa needs a ready-made Emery system striker if Watkins actually walks. It’s the kind of domino sequence that often stalls entirely if either side blinks, much like other high-profile European moves this window have hinged on multiple parties agreeing at once.
What This Means for Aston Villa
Nothing here is finalized, and that’s worth repeating. Al-Hilal have had one offer knocked back, Chelsea want more money for Jackson than Villa have so far been willing to discuss publicly.
Villa has already conducted extensive business this summer, bringing in Alejandro Garnacho, Joao Gomes, and Johan Manzambi, while Morgan Rogers, Youri Tielemans, and Lucas Digne departed.
The club will start their Premier League campaign this weekend away to Brighton. It will be interesting to see whether Watkins features in the squad, if he is even still at the club on Sunday.
About the author
-
Utkarsh Bhatla •
Bernd Leno frustrated with Emery and lack of playing time
-
Utkarsh Bhatla •
Groups for EURO 2016
-
Siddharth Nair •
Ousmane Dembele is upset with Messi and Suarez
-
Nilotpal Chakraborty •
Can xQc Snowboard and Other FAQs About the Popular Canadian Streamer
-
Sudarshan Venkatesan •
What Sergio Ramos said to his teammates after going 3-0 down against Barcelona
-
Gautam Kapoor •
WOL Vs MCI Fantasy Prediction: Wolverhampton Vs Manchester City Best Fantasy picks for Premier League 2020-21 Match
