Dutch sponsors make $1.5 million to Max Verstappen an exception amidst their cancellation spree in motorsports
Max Verstappen, the current F1 world champion, is one of the hottest commercial entities in sports. Thus, he would have plenty of sponsors and deals to advertise and make a fortune out of all of them.
Especially for mega-corporations at his home– the Netherlands, it would be a mistake not to get him on board in his most successful run, even if it means to afford him in chaos.
Max Verstappen’s last 35 race wins:
P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1, P1.
He’s in a league of his own. pic.twitter.com/oseQBhgjrJ
— Dudu (@_UnknownOrbit) January 1, 2023
Jumbo is the biggest example of that. The mega supermarket chain, which has sponsored the Red Bull star since his initial career days, continues to afford him even during their biggest crisis.
Also read: FIA overreacted to Lewis Hamilton & George Russell’s woes; claims F1 CTO
Jumbo wants to continue with Max Verstappen
Currently, the Dutch brand is cancelling all the brand deals and sponsorships in motorsport due to money laundering allegations. Their previous CEO, Frits van Eerd was forced to step down after coming out as a suspect in the scandal. However, they aren’t ready to let Verstappen go.
According to the reports, Jumbo is ready to make an exception for the 25-year-old and continue paying him his $1.5 million annual sponsorship money.
“We will no longer continue with that. We will also take a critical look at our activities in motorsport. An exception to this is the contract with Max Verstappen,” said Jumbo’s temporary CEO, Ton van Veen as motorsport deals are also under investigation.
Why Jumbo wasn’t distant by the Red Bull star
The Jumbo controversy is one of the hottest topics in the Netherlands. In such instances, celebrities with global reputations distance themselves from organizations to preserve their personal brand and reputation.
However, Verstappen hasn’t shelved the retail brand from his lengthy shelves of sponsors. Verstappen’s manager Raymond Vermeulen said last September they would continue with the usual agreement with Jumbo as the brand is not part of the investigation.
Their entourage doesn’t want to come to conclusions beforehand and would be waiting for the facts on the table. According to Vermeulen, his side is constantly in contact with Jumbo, and marketing will continue for now.
So far, Verstappen has nothing to be worried about. Despite the fact that motorsport deals are at the centre of the investigation, no links to Verstappen have been drawn by the officials.
Also read: When Jenson Button drove with a broken hand to stop Kevin Magnussen from racing his car
About the author
-
Vidit Dhawan •
Charles Leclerc Recalls When He Met Michael Schumacher and Drove His F2003 – “I Never Thought..”
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
Despite Being Unstoppable, Max Verstappen Misses the Thrill and Excitement of His 2021 Battle With Lewis Hamilton
-
Tanish Chachra •
“It’s great to see Lewis [Hamilton] back being aggressive”– Pablo Montoya defends Mercedes superstar
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
Lewis Hamilton or George Russell winning Italian GP could mark return of ‘God Save the King’ anthem in F1 after Queen Elizabeth II’s passing
-
Mahim Suhalka •
Marc Priestley Lists Moments Where Max Verstappen Was at Fault Against Lando Norris
-
Janmeyjay Shukla •
F1 Team Principals 2023: Who are the people in charge of all ten Formula 1 teams for the 2023 season?
