Red Bull respond to Alonso’s claim of being offered the Ricciardo seat
The Fernando Alonso-Red Bull saga got a little more tasty today when Alonso, in an interview with Sky Sports confirmed that the team tried to sign him as a replacement for Ricciardo.
Ever since Ricciardo’s announcement of a shift to Renault from 2019, the vacant Red Bull seat had attracted a lot of speculations.
Rumours had suggested that Alonso could have an outside chance of moving to Red Bull, a rumour that had been squashed by Christian Horner and Helmut Marko earlier.
In the Sky Sports interview today, Alonso had revealed that he had an offer from one of the top teams to stay in F1, however, he wasn’t excited by the challenge presented to him.
WATCH: ‘Alonso: Red Bull wanted me’
Fernando drops a bombshell on our new show. Don’t miss Welcome To The Weekend at 5pm on Sky Sports F1
(Repeats: 6:30pm, 8pm, 11pm)#SkyF1 #F1 #BelgianGP pic.twitter.com/yEsqS4xJOo— Sky Sports F1 🏎 (@SkySportsF1) August 23, 2018
“I had an offer from one of these top three teams but it was not the case for me to join that adventure” Alonso said.
He was then quizzed if Red Bull was that team and Alonso replied with an affirmative.
According to Motorsport.com, Red Bull have denied making an offer to Alonso.
Earlier this week too Horner had stated that Red Bull were not interested in signing Alonso
“I’ve got huge respect for Fernando, he’s a great, fantastic driver, but it would be very difficult to see,” Horner had said.
“He’s tended to cause a bit of chaos wherever he’s gone.
“I’m not sure it would be the healthiest thing for the team for Fernando to join.
“Our preference would be to continue to invest in youth than take a driver who is obviously close to the end of his career.” he added.
Alonso
About the author
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
“Team That Never Achieved Very Much”: Adrian Newey on Why Aston Martin Move Compares to Red Bull
-
Subham Jindal •
Mick Schumacher to Haas: Kevin Magnussen gives a thumbs up to Mick Schumacher to be his replacement at Haas
-
Tanish Chachra •
“I hope it’s not Roscoe.”- Lewis Hamilton jokes after a dog disrupts FP2 in Bahrain
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
“Imagine being on the same venue with LeBron, Brady and Lewis!”- Several huge name celebrities set to attend the inaugural F1 Miami GP
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
“It wasn’t good for me in the long run”: Valtteri Bottas opens up about the time when staying in shape for F1 races nearly left him burnt out
-
Somin Bhattacharjee •
Despite Claiming AlphaTauri Handling Was Optimal, Daniel Ricciardo Sheds Lights on Problems With Speed Ahead of Dutch GP
