Cover Image for Chelsea vs Manchester City : Pep Guardiola Confirms Number Of Players Set To Skip Chelsea’s Fixture Due To COVID

Chelsea vs Manchester City : Pep Guardiola Confirms Number Of Players Set To Skip Chelsea’s Fixture Due To COVID

Gautam Kapoor
|Fri Jan 01 2021


Chelsea vs Manchester City : Pep Guardiola Confirms Number Of Players Set To Skip Chelsea’s Fixture Due To COVID: The club had recently seen its fixture against Everton be called off due to the disease

Becoming one of the worst affected sides in the Premier League due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Manchester City find themselves in a real crisis at the moment. With the club announcing a string of fresh COVID cases, the team’s foregone fixture against Everton was postponed.

While there were fears on if the team’s first clash of 2021 against Chelsea would go ahead, the qualms were quelled with the club being allowed to open its training facility. With a fresh round of testing detecting no new positive cases, the club has been given the go ahead for its impending outing at the weekend.

Which City Players won’t play against Chelsea?

Speaking about the turmoil his club was thrown into earlier in the week, Pep Guardiola also detailed the number of players who are currently under the weather with the disease. While he refused to divulge any new names apart from Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus, the manager has revealed that five players have currently contracted COVID.

“It was five people, two players, the first time and then three more,” the City boss said.

“I don’t think the Premier League allow us to name the players but you will know tomorrow.

“We had enough players to play against Everton, we wanted to play but on the day of the game with more cases we informed the Premier League and I personally called Carlo Ancelotti to explain the situation because the day before we were in touch about what would happen and the huge risk,” Pep said as he opened up about the week’s happenings.

“People are dying all around the world. Unfortunately the problem is still here but now the training centre is disinfected and hopefully the next tests everyone is negative and the people that are positive can come back without problems.”

“We will follow what the Premier League says. They are doing an incredible job and have been since the first lockdown but it is unfortunate what happened with Newcastle.

“I spoke with Steve Bruce and he explained how difficult it was, more than 20 people infected and it can happen to any club in the Premier League.

“We will follow what the Premier League says. They are doing an incredible job and have been since the first lockdown but it is unfortunate what happened with Newcastle.

“I spoke with Steve Bruce and he explained how difficult it was, more than 20 people infected and it can happen to any club in the Premier League.

Also Read: FPL Replacements For Taylor And Matip


About the author
Gautam Kapoor

Gautam Kapoor

Pouring perusal into the sports and cricketing fraternity by traversing through a plethora of issues, developments, players and teams. Scouring and imbibing all the disciplines and verticals of sports to hearld in a seamless blend of articles that intertwine engrossing reports and matches.

Read more from Gautam Kapoor