Brad Haddin: The former Australian wicket-keeper batsman has put forward a whole different reason after unconfirmed reports around the Brisbane Test.
A day after five Indian cricketers were asked to self-isolate following their visit to a restaurant, another controversy has erupted on the back of mere reports and without an official word from the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India).
According to some leading media outlets of both the countries, sources in privy of the BCCI have opened up on Indian team’s reluctance of quarantining upon reaching Brisbane for the fourth Test of the ongoing series.
With the third Test between Australia and India set to be in Sydney, all players and support staff will have to undergo a quarantine period in Queensland in the wake of a recent COVID-19 wave at the Northern Beaches. It is worth mentioning that Adelaide Strikers captain Alex Carey and Melbourne Stars batsman Nic Maddinson had to miss respective BBL 10 matches last month due to the same rule.
While the aforementioned reports had begun the damage, Queensland Health Shadow Minister Ros Bates’ blunt response acted as fuel to fire to the whole situation.
Today I was asked about reports the Indian Cricket Team wants quarantine restrictions eased just for them, ahead of the upcoming Gabba Test. My response 👇 #Cricket #IndiavsAustralia @ICC @CricketAus pic.twitter.com/MV7W0rIntM
— Ros Bates MP (@Ros_Bates_MP) January 3, 2021
Brad Haddin takes a dig at India over reports of change in venue of 4th Test
Despite no word from the Indian team or cricket board, Australia batsman Matthew Wade went on to lay emphasis on playing the fourth Test in Brisbane and has now been joined by his former competitor in Brad Haddin.
Speaking to Fox Cricket on Sunday night, Haddin highlighted Australia’s supreme record at the Gabba as a reason behind India’s reluctance when the visitors haven’t officially said anything on the matter.
“From a cricket point of view, why would India want to go to the Gabba? No one wins at the Gabba, Australia play really good cricket there and no one’s won for a really long time [since 1988],” Haddin told Fox Cricket.
“There’s a lot of moving parts here. The one thing is these guys [Indian team] have been in a bubble for a long, long time and they might just start to be getting a little bit tired,” Haddin said.
A supposed reason behind India reportedly objecting to quarantine in Brisbane is them being on the road since the commencement of the 13th season of the Indian Premier League in September last year. Haddin, however, pointed out how some Australian players aren’t complaining despite being part of IPL 2020 and having undergone similar quarantine periods.
“But you can’t move a Test match – if a state doesn’t have any virus – just because you’re over the quarantine. You came to Australia knowing exactly what was going to happen … you knew there were restrictions, you knew this could’ve happened.
“Yes, it’s been a long time now they’ve been in quarantine first with IPL and now with the Australian summer. But it’s the same with the Australian teams, we haven’t heard them whinge and they’ve just got on with it. To me, it just looks like they’re trying not to play at the Gabba,” the 43-year old added.
Led by Sir Vivian Richards, West Indies were the last visiting team to win a Test at the Gabba. India, who have played six Tests at the venue, have lost five of them with the latest one being in 2014 under former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.