Cristiano Ronaldo charged with improper conduct from UEFA for Atletico Madrid celebration
Cristiano Ronaldo charged with improper conduct from UEFA for Atletico Madrid celebration.
Cristiano Ronaldo has been penalized with improper conduct from UEFA for the ‘cojones’ celebration which he performed against Atletico Madrid at Turin. After the final whistle, the Portuguese International performed the celebration in front of Atletico Madrid fans which has forced the European board to take an action against him.
It was a clear dig at Diego Simeone, who performed the same celebration at Wanda Metropolitano following Atletico Madrid’s victory in the first leg. The Argentine International was seen to be holding up his balls in the direction of the Atletico Madrid fans. He was fined 18,000 euros by the UEFA.
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) March 18, 2019
— Azza Batool (@_mallu_girl) March 12, 2019
The same could happen to Cristiano Ronaldo. There will be fears about his absence for the last eight clash against Ajax until the final verdict is revealed by the UEFA. He will hear the worse on April 21.
There were several reports going on that Ronaldo could face a ban because of his wild action in front of Atletico Madrid fans, unlike Diego Simeone. But, those reports will not be quashed until the UEFA decides his fate for that ‘cojones’ celebration.
BREAKING: @Cristiano charged with improper conduct by @UEFA for goal celebration during last week’s win against @Atleti in the @ChampionsLeague. #SSN
Read more: https://t.co/AGV9h0xbjW pic.twitter.com/SInM5KDQVG
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) March 18, 2019
The UEFA statement said: “Following a disciplinary investigation conducted by a UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector, in accordance with the Article 55 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR), disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League round of 16 match between Juventus Football Club and Club Atlético de Madrid, played on 12 March in Italy.
“Improper conduct of player Cristiano Ronaldo – Art. 11 (2) (b) and Art. 11 (2) (d) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body will deal with this case at its next meeting on 21 March 2019.”
Cristiano Ronaldo singlehandedly carried his team to the Quarterfinals of the competition with a 3-0 victory over Atletico Madrid. The 34-year-old scored a hat-trick in front of the home crowd to put the 2-0 deficit down to bed at Allianz Stadium.
Despite mocking Simeone with the ‘cojones’ celebration, the Atletico Madrid manager was lauding praise for the former Real Madrid forward instead. The Argentine International said that Ronaldo showed the character by doing that celebration.
“Cristiano Ronaldo is the best in the world, he can put in these performances on big nights,” Simeone said, as quoted by the Daily Mirror.
“He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character.”
“Cristiano Ronaldo is the best in the world, he can put in these performances on big nights. He will have seen how I did it at the Wanda Metropolitano and, like me, was trying to show his character.”😂
— doctormayor 🇳🇬🇳🇬🐦🐦 (@iam_doctormayor) March 13, 2019
With that hat-trick, Cristiano Ronaldo took his total tally to 52 for his club and country and equalized Lionel Messi in the Champions League with eight. Not many people could have put in that miraculous performance against the resilient defense of Atletico Madrid which was not particularly bad against the Old Lady.
The quality of Cristiano Ronaldo once again spoke volumes as he once again erupted for his teammates. Genoa fans revolted against their own club when Cristiano Ronaldo was not included in Juventus’ squad on Sunday. The Old Lady suffered their first defeat in the league with a 2-0 defeat to Genoa.
According to Corsera, Genoa fans were reportedly furious and protested outside the club’s HQ. They even threatened to return the tickets for Genoa vs Juventus, after learning that Cristiano Ronaldo was excluded from Juve’s squad for today’s game at the Marassi. 😅
— Arjun Pradeep (@IndianRegista) March 17, 2019
Massimiliano Allegri’s men are likely to win the Serie A as they already 15 points above the second-placed Napoli. In the recently concluded game, Juventus beat Napoli at San Paolo 2-1 to hand no chance for Carlo Ancelotti’s side to make a comeback.
The first leg of the Quarterfinals of the Champions League will take place on April 10 at Amsterdam Arena.
In the other fixtures, Liverpool will take on Porto, Manchester City will play Tottenham Hotspur, and Manchester United will go head-to-head with Barcelona. The winner of the game between Ajax and Juventus will meet either Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur in the Semifinals of the competition.