“We took a step backwards”– Sergio Perez on the changes made by his team in the recent past, as he struggles to cement his foot.
Red Bull hired Sergio Perez to end the 2nd seat curse at Red Bull, which has lately hunted two drivers down to relegation. However, the Mexican so far appears to struggle himself.
Though he came openly to criticize his car and said that the new changes made by the team have certainly taken the level of the car down, he called it a “step backwards”.
“It’s great to drive in Monaco again after not racing here last year,” Perez said after Friday’s FP2. “I’m enjoying it a lot as it’s such a fantastic track.”
“We had a very good FP1 and the car was feeling strong, we made a few changes between sessions and I think maybe we took a step backwards but it’s hard to really know as I had traffic on my soft tyre run.”
Red Bull has work to do
Perez has confessed that Red Bull has work to do on short runs, and at Monaco, it has also seen threat from Ferrari, which gave impressive numbers on Thursday.
“I think we probably have work to do on our short runs but we have lots of information to look at now ahead of qualifying on Saturday when hopefully we can be in the mix,” Perez added.
“Even though he missed most of FP1, Charles [Leclerc] still managed to end the session fastest so the Ferraris are looking strong but let’s see who sits where on Saturday when it counts.”
Perez championed the FP2 round, but he surely needs a good result to set his momentum in Red Bull. Though none of the new drivers in any team has fully struggled, maybe Perez needs some time.