Nicolas Pepe’s agent has claimed that this client is yet to assess his future, thereby confirming the transfer from Lille.
Samir Khiat, agent of Nicolas Pepe, has said that his client is yet to assess his future as a host of clubs circle him. The Ivorian faced an exit from the AFCON – losing to Algeria on penalties in the Quarterfinals stage.
Time has now come for the 24-year-old to take a decision on his future, as clubs wait for his reply. The likes of Liverpool and Bayern Munich have coveted the forward, but he is prioritising his personal improvement by regularly spending time on the pitch.
Speaking on TV show L’Équipe Mercato, Samir iterated that the Lille forward is yet to make a decision, although he brought PSG out of the blue.
He said: “Nicolas is open to everything. The aim is for him to sign in the right place. PSG is a possibility. I cannot say on the 12th July that he will sign for PSG. Today, all parties need to reach an agreement. Lille, the buying club and us.”
There are exchanges and discussions. He is wanted by a considerable number of clubs. For him, the most important thing is to be wanted and to go to a good club, in which he will play and continue to progress.”
The 24-year-old played 41 games across all competitions and bagged 23 goals and 12 assists last campaign, thereby enjoying a breakthrough season with Lille. Despite possessing breakneck pace and ability to stretch the opponent’s defence through the wings, Pepe can notch up numbers in the final third.
Earlier this month, Lille president Gerard Lopez confirmed talks with Liverpool, but considers the Reds as an option nonetheless.
“I know there have been discussions with the player, not with us as a club,” Lille president Lopez told RMC Sport.
“Liverpool have players in those positions and I read that maybe there were players who could leave, or not. I am not particularly focused on Liverpool. But it is true that there have been discussions with agents.” said Lopez.
Here’s how Twitter has reacted..
Nicolas Pépé’s agent speaks to L’Équipe Mercato: “Nicolas is open to everything. The aim is for him to sign in the right place. PSG is a possibility.” https://t.co/MzYFK5qOXD
— Get French Football News (@GFFN) July 12, 2019
BREAKING: Despite denying reports, in an exclusive interview for @RMCsport Lille President Gerard Lopez HAS stated that there has indeed been discussions for Nicolas Pepé with Liverpool. Pepé is Liverpool’s priority for this summer transfer window. [@mohamedbouhafsi] pic.twitter.com/Q030av8Nrw
— LFC Transfer Room (@LFCTransferRoom) July 5, 2019
Liverpool have held discussions with Nicolas Pepe’s representatives.
🗣 Lille president, Gerard Lopez: “I know there have been discussions with the player. Liverpool have players in those positions and I read that maybe there were players who could leave.”
A good move? pic.twitter.com/amEDkaS9yy
— Goal (@goal) July 6, 2019
Lille want no lesser than 70 million for the player. But, it remains to be seen if Jurgen Klopp would be prepared to shell that amount on the forward, who will act as a backup to both Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane.