Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal have slowly but surely established themselves in the Indian team, as the spin sup have impressed one and all over the last few months.
The rebirth of wrist spinners in the game has been a joy to behold, and India can now boast of two of the most promising spinners in their ranks.
Chahal and Yadav were once again instrumental in India’s victory in the first ODI, as the duo picked up five wickets and conceded just 79 runs in 20 overs.
After the match, Kohli was full of praise for his spin duo.
“The two wrist spinners have been making the difference for us. Having two wrist spinners I mentioned in the press conference is a huge advantage. It augurs well for the team when you have two fearless youngsters. They set their own field as well. ”
“They will have to keep this going for the rest of the series.”
Vice-captain Rohit Sharma was also gushing about their performances,
“Those two guys (Chahal and Kuldeep), if you look at their careers over the last few months, they have always been a wicket-taking option in the middle,” Sharma said of the spin duo. It’s important to understand what the team expects of them and they’ve delivered. They don’t fail to impress us.”
Yadav, who picked up three wickets in the 1st match, never fails to give MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli credit for his success.
“Dhoni bhai is in a class of his own. With him, you just need to do 40 per cent of the job. The rest of the 60 per cent he does it for you. He is so good that he can read the batsman’s mind even before you bowl.”
“When you have two legends, Virat (Kohli) and Mahi, one is leading the team and the other has led the team, it is helpful. As a spinner, Mahi bhai does 50 per cent of your work because he has played so much cricket, he reads the batsmen easily,” the spinner said.
“We are youngsters and we don’t have that much experience. That is why he (Dhoni) keeps telling me what to do in what situation. And the mindset comes from the captain.”
After foxing JP Duminy with a googly, the stump mics caught Dhoni saying,
“Mere tarah isko bhi samajh nahi aya (Just like me, he (Duminy) could not pick that one.”
That is some high praise indeed!