AB de Villiers clarifies controversy regarding comeback in ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
AB de Villiers clarifies controversy regarding comeback: Former South African captain revealed details of his chat with Faf du Plessis.
South Africa’s shocking ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 campaign had further received a hit when there were updates of former captain AB de Villiers expressing his desire to play the World Cup despite calling it a day at the highest level.
There were reports that de Villiers had spoken to his childhood friend and South Africa captain Faf du Plessis a night before the team for the World Cup was to be announced and told him about wanting to represent the Proteas in the showpiece event.
ALSO WATCH: Shoaib Akhtar slams AB de Villiers for wanting to play 2019 Cricket World Cup
It was also made public that it was in a bid to be fair with the other players and not disturb the balance of the side that Cricket South Africa denied de Villiers’ request.
AB de Villiers clarifies controversy regarding comeback
With South Africa’s campaign in the World Cup done and dusted now, de Villiers took to his Twitter handle to share clarification with respect to his chat with du Plessis. In the four images that de Villiers shared, he disclosed that he had retired from international cricket to spend more time with his family and not to pursue any monetary interest.
De Villiers also mentioned that he denied several lucrative offers to play T20 leagues just to be with his family. Talking about his chat with du Plessis, de Villiers said that he had told him that he was available if required…but only if required.
The 35-year old also added that he hadn’t made any demand in front of du Plessis and that their chat was leaked to deflect criticism after South Africa lost to India last month.
— AB de Villiers (@ABdeVilliers17) July 12, 2019
For more cricket-related news, click here.