FIFA have shortlisted ten candidates for the men player of the year 2019.
FIFA have shortlisted ten candidates for the men player of the year. There was a surprising exclusion of Alisson Becker, who won the Golden Glove in the Premier League, Champions League, and Copa America. The shot-stopper was the first keeper to make more than eight saves in the Champions League final. The rest have performed up to their scratch to find a spot in the final 10, but Alisson Becker is a huge miss.
- Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo has been nominated for this award for his accolades with the club and country. The Portuguese International won the Nations League and Serie A with the Italian side last season.
- Former Ajax midfielder Frenkie De Jong sneaks into the final ten list. The Ajax product had an excellent campaign with his club and country. He won the domestic double and reached the Champions League semifinals with his club. Additionally, ended as runners-up in the Nations League.
- Matthijs De Ligt, who made a big-money transfer to Juventus this summer is the third nominee for this accolade. The Dutch International captained Ajax to domestic double and Champions League Semifinals.
- Eden Hazard had a fabulous season with Chelsea before sealing a transfer to Real Madrid. The forward won the Europa League with the blues, and individually lifted the PFA Fans Player of the year.
- Harry Kane‘s inclusion comes as a total surprise to the fans. The striker was out injured most of the season, enabling Heung Min Son to carry the frontline. However, his 17 goal season and Champions League final appearance is not overlooked.
- Liverpool’s attack was undergoing a tough few months with Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino struggling to find their mojo. But, Sadio Mane‘s incredible form carried Liverpool to the Champions League glory and he reached the final of the AFCON as well. He is the current joint holder of the Premier League golden boot.
- The second-highest scorer in the European top five leagues, Kylian Mbappe, is the seventh player to get shortlisted for this award. He was Ligue 1’s winner and won the player of the league award too.
- Mbappe is followed by the top scorer in the European top five leagues, Lionel Messi. The Argentinian won the La Liga and carried his nation to Copa America third place.
- Virgil Van Dijk was arguably the best player in the world over the last 12 months. He carried Liverpool to the Champions League triumph and was named as man of the match in the final of the European competition. He bagged the PFA Player of the year award and PFA Player of the year. He captained the Nations League finals with the Netherlands.
- Liverpool’s scorer in the Champions League final, Mohamed Salah, assisted his side to cross the line in Madrid. He was club’s top scorer in all competition and shared the Premier League golden boot with Sadio Mane and Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang.
PUBLIC VOTING LINK: https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/best-fifa-mens-player/