Lewis Hamilton is on the cusp of winning his 5th World Title, as he has a 67 point lead over his nearest rival Sebastian Vettel and could wrap up the title this weekend.
A victory in Austin wouldn’t be enough to win the title, as Lewis will have to depend on Vettel’s result as well to wrap up the title.
Hamilton already has fond memories of winning the title in Austin, when he overtook Rosberg in 2015 to clinch his 3rd World title. The infamous ‘hat incident’ followed but that couldn’t steal Hamilton’s thunder as he had come one step closer to matching Vettel’s 4 world titles.
The Brit has actually enjoyed a lot of success in United States, emerging victorious on 6 occasions, the highest for any F1 driver in history.
In order to win the title in Austin, Hamilton will have to ensure a top 6 finish, else the title race will move onto Mexico.
Now, if Hamilton wins the United States GP, with Vettel coming in 3rd(or lower), Hamilton will end up winning the title.
Hamilton can win the title in the following cases:
1) If Hamilton finishes 1st and Vettel finishes 3rd or lower
2) If Hamilton finishes 2nd and Vettel finishes 5th or lower
3) If Hamilton finishes 3rd and Vettel finishes 7th or lower
4) If Hamilton finishes 4th and Vettel finishes 8th or lower
5) If Hamilton finishes 5th and Vettel finishes 9th or lower
6) If Hamilton finishes 6th and Vettel 10th or lower
Do you think Hamilton will win it in Austin or will Vettel fight to live another day.