Katich on Smith & Warner’s ban: Former Australian batsman spoke about the banned Australia duo of Smith and Warner.
With the Cultural review being made public yesterday, numerous responses have come regarding the same. Among the major developments of all the decisions taken was the update on Steven Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft’s respective bans.
Cricket Australia chairman David Peever remained adamant about maintaining the bans on the trio.
A recent opinion on the issue has come from former Australian batsman Simon Katich, who has said that the trio remains ‘blatant cheats’ and should serve their full bans.
Apparently, there were suggestions of the ban on the trio being removed or at least reduced. Speaking to Sony Entertainment Network, Katich was of the opinion that ‘no good’ would come from allowing them to return to cricket at the highest level.
“I think the players should see out their bans … They admitted what they did was wrong, and they blatantly cheated. I think the public will be disappointed to think they could get away with what they did just because of what this review has found. They have to be responsible for their actions, regardless of what is going on in the background with the administrators and the culture that’s been created,” the 43-year old said.
The bans were to be removed so that the players could prepare for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 and The Ashes by playing in Australia’s domestic circuit and the Big Bash League.
Greg Dyer, President of ACA (Australian Cricketers Association), had earlier opined about the removal of the bans. “Given there is now independent verification that CA’s system and culture were contributing factors, the ACA Executive calls for the lifting of the Board imposed penalties on Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft. We note that the Board of CA has both the power and in our view the moral obligation to do so,” he was quoted.
Former Australian coach Darren Lehmann, too, commented about the whole scenario, saying that the bans of the players must be reviewed. Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald, Lehmann was quoted, “I think they should be back but it’s up to the board to make that decision, not me. I think the general feeling around Australia, certainly the people I talk to, is they want them playing again, at worst domestic cricket. Now the findings have come down they should be reviewing the sanctions on the three players.”
Fast bowler and recently elected vice-captain Josh Hazlewood was of a similar opinion. Speaking at a news conference, Hazlewood was quoted, “We’d love to see the guys back playing as soon as possible. That’s not really our decision. The bans have been handed down and the boys have copped them, as you’d expect. That’s really out of our hands, as players.”
Former Australian captain Ian Chappell said that the three men would be right in their case to be angry for only them are being made to cop the punishment. “When the fiasco in Cape Town occurred I said if it’s only three people — being Smith, Warner and Bancroft — if only three get it in the neck then it’s a joke. Well, I think it’s now officially a joke,” Chappell was quoted as saying to 7.30.
“Quite rightly the players are going to be angry about that, the fact it’s only them who copped it in the neck. If things are going astray on the field they are usually going astray off the field. And I think they’ve been going astray for a while,” Chappell added.
Read some of the recent Twitter reactions on the same below:
— Joe Aston (@mrjoeaston) October 29, 2018
Cricket Australia has used up all its reviews now. They’ll only get them back when the new board is taken.
— Brydon Coverdale (@brydoncoverdale) October 29, 2018
Australian Cricketers’ Association has called for lifting of bans imposed on Steven Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft https://t.co/laHJezVxNO
— Cricbuzz (@cricbuzz) October 30, 2018
— ESPNcricinfo (@ESPNcricinfo) October 30, 2018
Former Australian coach John Buchanan insists the bans to Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft should be upheld. It comes as The Cricketers Union is demanding they be lifted immediately. #TenNews pic.twitter.com/vC9AMTmaYN
— TEN News Queensland (@tennewsqld) October 30, 2018
Is it true? The ban on Steve Smith, Dave Warner and Bancroft may be lifted!! It’s been long enough, we need them back I say.
— The Friday Frothy (@thefridayfrothy) October 30, 2018