Kevin Pietersen said on Wednesday that he has not completely ruled out playing international cricket again.
The 37-year-old batsman will become eligible to play for South Africa in 2019. He was sacked by the England and Wales Cricket Board after the dismal performance of England in the 2013-14 Ashes in Australia.
Since then, he has been playing in various T20 leagues around the world and has been in constant touch with Cricket.
“You are talking about in two years’ time. Would I? Who knows? We’ll have to wait and see where I am. I’m in a happy place right now,” said Pietersen after smashing a thrilling half-century to lead Surrey to a 10-run win over Essex in the Twenty20 Blast at the Oval.
“I’m going to be playing a lot of cricket in South Africa over the next two years, so we’ll see.
ALSO READ : Ashwin has insulted Manchester United fans
He played his first English domestic game in over two years. Unfortunately, after completing his knock, he suffered a calf injury which stopped him from coming out to field.
He would be 39 by the time he gets a chance to represent the Proteas in International cricket and maintaining his fitness would be inevitable if he is considering a return.
“I love batting: I will bat for as long as I love the art of batting. I do at the moment, but I’m an old man now, I’ve just hurt my calf, I didn’t field,” he added.
Pietersen was at his explosive best when he hit 52 off 35 balls playing for Surrey on Wednesday which consisted of four sixes in an over.
Kevin Pietersen has played 104 Tests, 136 ODIs and 37 T20Is. He has a lot of runs under his belt and could be an impact player for South Africa if he is able to maintain his shape and form in the years to come.