Following is the Rio Olympics 2016: Daily Schedule of Events in IST on 14th August 2016.
Time, Event, Indian Participants
4:30 PM, Golf Men’s individual final round, Shiv Chawrasia and Anirbhan Lahiri
5:25 PM, Badminton Women’s singles, Saina Nehwal
5:30 PM, Shooting Men’s 50m rifle 3 positions Qualification, Chain Singh and Gagan Narang
6:00 PM, Athletics Women’s marathon Final, O.P Jaisha and Kavita Raut
7:10 PM, Badminton Men’s singles, Srikanth Kidambi
7:45 PM, Badminton Women’s singles, P.V Sindhu
8:30 PM, Tennis Mixed Doubles Bronze medal match, Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna
9:00 PM, Field hockey Men’s tournament, Indian Men team
9:15 PM, Boxing Men’s light welter 64 kg Round of 16, Manoj Kumar
11:17 PM, Gymnastics Women’s vault Final, Dipa Karmakar
Television/ Streaming Information: All matches will be telecasted on the Star Sports network and hotstar.com. All India-centric matches will also be shown on DD National.
World Events to Watch out for :
- 10:00 PM: Tennis Mixed Doubles Finals: V. Williams and R. Ram against J. Sock and B. Mattek-Sands.Both the pairs are from USA.
- 11:30 PM: Tennis Men’s Singles Gold Medal Match: Andy Murray vs Juan Martin Del Porto
- 5:37 AM (15th August) Men’s 100 m Semi Finals: All eyes will be on Semifinal 2 where Usain Bolt will look to assert his supremacy and get qualified for finals
Key Pointers on the Events Indians are part of –
- Saina Nehwal the World Number 5 has an easy task ahead to seal her place in the Round of 16, as she faces the Ukranian National Champion and World Number 75 Marija Ulitina.
- Chain Singh won the Bronze Medal at the Asian Games in Men’s 50M Rifle 3 Position event and is also a Gold Medalist in the South Asian Games and would be the better contender for India as this event is not the main event for his compatriot Gagan Narang.
- In the Women’s Marathon both O P Jaisa and Kavita Raut would be hoping to better their personal best timings and are not serious contenders for a medal. National Champion O P Jaisha set a new national record in 2015 at the World Championship in Beijing and would be looking to break her own record.
- Srikanth Kidambi, the highest ranked Men’s Badminton player (11th) is going through a dream run this year, having remained unbeaten since January (When he won the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships Grand Prix Gold). He would be facing 50th ranked Henri Hurskainen, a win here would help him to qualify for the Round of 16 easily.
- P V Sindhu plays the relatively weaker 20th ranked Canadian Michelle Li in her Group Stage match, a win here would take her to the Round of 16.
- Belgium broke India’s unbeaten run earlier this year at the Champions Trophy and are at their best form having topped Group A with four wins and a solitary loss. India would have to play their best Hockey to beat Belgium and we hope India would deliver on a billion prayers and make it to the Semis after 36 long years.
- Manoj Kumar is one of the strongest medal contenders for India in Boxing and the way he handed defeat to two times Olympic Bronze medalist Evaldas Petrauskas of Lithuania in the first round would only make him more confident of his chances against the Doha World Championship Silver Medalist Fazliddin Gaibnazarov.
- Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna will be trying to give their all in the do-or-die Bronze medal match against L. Hredecka and R. Stepanak
- In the vault finals of Gymnastics all eyes would be on Dipa Karmakar who created history by qualifying into the finals and in the process became the only 3rd gymnast ever to land the suicidal Produnova, often considered the hardest routine on a Vault.A perfect landing in the finals can land India its first medal in Gymnastics at the Olympics. All eyes would be on Dipa Karmakar on Day 9 as she takes her leap of faith and we hope she lands firm!
All the best India.. We are behind you !!