“This is amazing because it’s really going to open up the independent contractor issue” – WWE talent on Vince taking over their Twitch accounts.
The WWE have created yet another storm with their latest rule for their stars. Last month Vince McMahon issued an edict forbidding his talent from engaging in third party apps. Failure to comply would lead to fines, suspensions or even terminations.
While the promotion have since clarified that their talent will be allowed to maintain both YouTube and Twitch accounts, they have now shockingly asked them to hand their Twitch accounts to them in the next four weeks.
In an email sent by Vince McMahon, the WWE talent have reportedly been told by their chairman that the WWE will have control over their accounts and they will get a percentage of the revenue generated which will count against their downside guarantee.
“This is amazing because it’s really going to open up the independent contractor issue” – WWE talent on Vince taking over Twitch accounts
According to Dave Meltzer, on the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE stars are displeased with the new rule. Many have understandably been upset. Meltzer reported that One talent said, “This is amazing because it’s really going to open up the independent contractor issue. All these smart attorneys surrounding Vince and this is the battle he wants?”
However, he also noted that despite a lot of talent being livid, nobody would speak up about it.
Former U.S. Presidential candidate Andrew Yang said that if Joe Biden is elected president, he will push to discuss the “ridiculous classification of WWE wrestlers as independent contractors while controlling their names and likeness for years, even for something as benign as Cameo.”
This would be infuriating to me if I had spent time building up my social media channels only to have WWE take them over from their ‘independent contractors.’ People are angry and rightfully so. https://t.co/Xa2WVsgWU3
— Andrew Yang🧢🇺🇸 (@AndrewYang) October 2, 2020
“This would be infuriating to me if I had spent time building up my social media channels only to have WWE take them over from their ‘independent contractors,’ he tweeted on Thursday night after the news broke out. “People are angry and rightfully so.”
Click here for more WWE News