Coulter-Nile on being dropped: The Australian fast bowler was vocal about poor communication from the Australian selectors.
The problems with and around Australia’s selection committee doesn’t seem to end for this time it is fast bowler Nathan Coulter-Nile, who has accused the selectors of ‘poor communication’ regarding being dropped from the ODI squad against India.
While Australia’s 14-member squad was already being criticized due to the copious changes made to it, Coulter-Nile lashing out at the selectors raises further questions on the selection committee comprising of Trevor Horns, Greg Chappell and Head Coach Justin Langer.
Coulter-Nile’s only ODI last year came against South Africa at Perth in November. Having registered bowling figures of 3-0-26-1, the 31-year old right-hand fast bowler was overlooked for the next two matches.
Citing soreness in Coulter-Nile’s back, the selectors decided to not include in the four-man pace attack against India. However, it didn’t go too well for him as he said that the selectors picked the team before him appearing for a scan.
“I didn’t take [the news] the best, to be honest. I think it was communicated to me really poorly,” Coulter-Nile told ABC Radio.
“I won’t go into it, but I don’t think soreness is really any excuse for not playing cricket. In fairness, I hadn’t had a scan yet. I had had back soreness and back history, but I hadn’t had a scan to see what was wrong. I had one when I got home and it was all clear. They picked the team before I had a scan to know what was wrong with my back, that’s just when the team was picked to come out,” he said.
The fast bowler said that he doesn’t have a problem in being dropped but believes that better communication on the part of the selectors could have made things better.
“I was getting some mixed messages about what was happening – that’s just the way it is. I have no issue with being dropped, I just like to get a clear message about why – I was told it was because I had a sore back.
“JL [Langer] asked me when they were selecting the team, I said I have a sore back but I haven’t had a scan yet. With my history, it was just better off to check it. I think communication used to be a little bit better – from everyone,” Coulter-Nile added.
Read some of the latest Twitter reactions on the Australian team below:
It’s spinning out of control for the home team. Made to follow on in Australia for the first time since 1988. Champion performance by our boy @imkuldeep18. Proud of Team India! #INDvsAUS pic.twitter.com/T9jkpqAvKJ
— Suresh Raina🇮🇳 (@ImRaina) January 6, 2019
India are the first team in last 30 years to enforce follow-on on Australia in Australia!
Excellent work Kohli & co.! #AusvInd
— Bharath Seervi (@SeerviBharath) January 6, 2019
Last year, Australia were the worst death-bowling team in the world in ODIs
Last season, this man had the best economy rate at the death of any Australian in the BBL and overall in the JLT Cup
Now he’s back in Australia’s ODI squadhttps://t.co/lKaI93cNKP
— Martin Smith (@martinsmith9994) January 6, 2019
Indian team is way to superior than this Aussie team . I think India A will also beat them 🙂 . I just hope Australia doesn’t go the Srilanka way. The famous Aussie system needs to be awakened or else cricket will die !
— Vikram Sathaye (@vikramsathaye) January 6, 2019