F1 Driver Numbers: Full list of driver numbers on their car and reason behind why few prominent drivers chose it to display on their cars.
A Formula 1 car number just like any other sport is used to identify the driver on the track. One can choose a number from 0 to 99 to be printed in their car.
The exception is with number 1 as only the world champion is allowed to utilize that number on their car. The numbers cannot be reallocated unless the driver has not driven in the sport for two seasons.
Moreover, following the death of Jules Bianchi, the FIA decided to permanently retire the number 17 he drove with before his accident.
Until 2013, the numbers were allocated with two rules: the previous season’s World Champion used the number 1 following the Champion and his team-mate (car number 2), the teams were ordered by their position in the previous season’s Constructors’ Championship.
For a lot of years, number 13 was out of consideration for Formula 1 teams as per racing tradition. Therefore, there are several traditions, beliefs, and myths around drivers opting for a specific number on the grid.
Full list of F1 Driver Numbers
- Daniel Ricciardo – 3, Renault
- Lando Norris – 4, McLaren
- Sebastian Vettel – 5, Ferrari
- Nicholas Latifi – 6, Williams
- Kimi Raikkonen – 7, Alfa Romeo
- Romain Grosjean – 8, Haas
- Pierre Gasly – 10, Alpha Tauri
- Sergio Perez – 11, Racing Point
- Charles Leclerc – 16, Ferrari
- Lance Stroll – 18, Racing Point
- Kevin Magnussen – 20, Haas
- Alex Albon – 23, Red Bull
- Daniil Kvyat – 26, Alpha Tauri
- Esteban Ocon – 31, Renault
- Max Verstappen – 33, Red Bull
- Lewis Hamilton – 44, Mercedes
- Carlos Sainz – 55, McLaren
- George Russel – 63, Williams
- Valtteri Bottas – 77, Mercedes
- Antonio Giovinazzi – 99, Alfa Romeo
Why some racers use a particular number
Sebastian Vettel has a clear cut reason for using number 5, it has been claimed that Vettel is using that number since his karting days and finds it lucky for him, as he won the 2001 German Kart Championship.
Whereas Daniel Ricciardo also finds his number 3 lucky for him, therefore he uses it. Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton 44 was used by him throughout his go-karting career, which is still continuing in his F1 days.