WWE were already aware of Matt Riddle sexual assault allegations. The former UFC fighter made his WWE main roster debut on Friday.
WWE star Matt Riddle was recently accused of sexual misconduct by pre-wrestler Candy Cartwright. Just hours before his debut on SmackDown, Cartwright alleged that Riddle threatened and forced her into doing a sexual act against her will back in 2018.
Riddle has since denied any wrongdoing and has instead claimed that Cartwright was a stalker. WWE on their part have announced that they will take the allegations seriously. Anyone convicted will immediately be removed from the company.
WWE were already aware of Matt Riddle sexual assault allegations
It seems that the WWE were well aware of Riddle’s past. They however, came to the conclusion that nothing was going to be done about the situation.
“As far as Matt Riddle, there’s nothing that has come out that WWE wasn’t aware of years ago,” Meltzer said on Wrestling Observer Radio.
He said that he has the impression based on his information that the allegations against Riddle are “settled” in WWE’s mind. Although, he noted that the company also felt the same about Lars Sullivan; in regard to his racist and homophobic comments. Until they were brought back to light and a sponsor complained, which led to him being taken off of TV.”
Many felt that Cartwright’s accusations would delay Riddle’s debut. Instead, it went ahead as planned with the former UFC fighter pinning intercontinental champion AJ Styles, clean on his debut.
Cruiserweight Jack Gallagher has so far, been the first and only one to be released from the WWE since news broke out of several male wrestlers using their position to take advantage of young women.
Click here for more WWE News