Tom Banton pulled out of BBL 10: The talented English batsman will return to England to be with his family after the tour of South Africa.
England batsman Tom Banton has pulled out of the upcoming 10th season of the Big Bash League due to biosecurity bubble fatigue.
Banton, 22, is currently with the national team in South Africa and was scheduled to travel to Australia after the culmination of the three-match ODI series.
Coming on the back of bio-bubbles participation during England’s home summer, Indian Premier League and the current South Africa tour, the right-hand batsman has decided to travel back to his family in England from South Africa.
— Tom Banton (@TBanton18) November 27, 2020
Banton, who was offered a two-year contract extension after his maiden stint in the Big Bash League last season, will return to Heat in BBL 11. In seven BBL T20s last season, Banton’s 223 runs had come at an average and strike rate of 31.86 and 176.98 including three half-centuries.
Why has Brisbane Heat’s Tom Banton pulled out of BBL 10?
“It has been harder than I thought spending so much time in the hubs and bubbles and I came to the realization that it wasn’t doing me much good,’’ Banton said in a statement from South Africa.
“I know the Heat looked after me really well during the BBL last year and I was confident that they would understand when I spoke to Boof and Lynny [Chris Lynn] about going home to regroup.
“I will be following the lads during the season and hope the fans get behind and support my Somerset captain Lewis Gregory and Dan Lawrence who will be in their first BBL seasons. I am sure they will do a great job for us,” he added.
With Afghanistan spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman also testing positive for COVID-19 during his hotel stay yesterday, Brisbane would be looking for overseas players who can play a significant part in their campaign this year.
After speaking with him at length, the best option for him is to head home to his family and loved ones and give himself every chance to recover. We’ve always been strong as a club that your family comes first and so we back his decision 100 percent and hope he is feeling restored and mended very soon,’’ Heat coach Darren Lehmann said in a statement.
“We are looking at the replacement options that may be available for us if needed over the duration of the tournament and will make some decisions shortly on the best course of action,” Lehmann added.