Despite Will Buxton’s Speculations About ‘Stressful’ Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin Star Reveals His State of Mind After Belgian Grand Prix
Following the recent dip in performances by Fernando Alonso and Aston Martin, F1 expert Will Buxton was convinced that the Spanish driver was extremely stressed. So much so that Buxton felt Alonso would end up having some serious discussions with the team about his future. However, a recent revelation by a happy Alonso on Aston Martin’s official website as reported by Formel Direkt contradicts Buxton’s statement. This has come after a relatively better result at Spa-Francorchamps.
Aston Martin’s performance has drastically dropped over the course of the last few weeks. They were the second-fastest team on the grid and P2 in the standings. Unfortunately, those days seem long gone. Compared to their rivals, they’re now the fifth fastest car on the grid behind leaders Red Bull, and then Mercedes, McLaren, and Ferrari.
“We will be super ready for the second half” 💪
Hear Fernando’s thoughts after the #BelgianGP, as we wrap up the first half of the 2023 F1 season. pic.twitter.com/rYp38ykV40
— Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team (@AstonMartinF1) July 30, 2023
The Silverstone-based team’s principal Mike Krack also accepted the team’s wrong turn development which led to the dip in form. Despite this, the P5 finish in Belgium had been a massive boost for Alonso and the team as a whole.
Fernando Alonso is confident about a turnaround after the summer break
After starting the year on a high, the trajectory went downhill for Aston Martin and Alonso. But the Oviedo-born drive is undeterred and as was oozing confidence in a recent interview following the conclusion of the Belgian GP.
According to Formel Direkt, the two-time world champion told Aston Martin media, “The car felt more normal, more competitive today. So yes, I’m happy and it’s a good boost for the summer.”
Top 5 in the race and valuable points for the team. It was a weekend with unpredictable weather and some ups and downs, but our car performed well in the race and we came away with a good result. See you next year, Spa! 👍 @astonmartinf1 #f1 #belgium pic.twitter.com/0IjLEcYGRb
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) July 30, 2023
This shows that the recent hiccups haven’t broken Alonso’s confidence. He is raring to go even after he turned 42 this weekend, and is showing no signs of slowing down in the near future.
Despite his age, Alonso is still focused to extract maximum performance
Fernando Alonso is the oldest driver on the grid, and arguably, doesn’t have a lot of years left in him in the sport as a driver. Nevertheless, he is still confident about his abilities, and doesn’t want to retire anytime soon.
When asked about his age and ability to continue, the former Ferrari driver said it doesn’t matter if a driver is 25 or 42. What matters is driving fast, not being young as it all depend on the head, on tackling competition, and the motivation.
Admittedly, the Spanish star proved his words this season as he was at par with the top talents who are all around 25 years or less. He competed against the likes of Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc, George Russell, and Lando Norris, fetched six podiums, and is in P3 in the drivers’ championship as things stand.
About the author
-
Sabyasachi Biswas •
Christian Horner Reveals Two Biggest Challenges Every F1 Team Will Fight Against at the Chinese GP
-
Aishwary Gaonkar •
Max Verstappen’s GF Kelly Piquet Talks About Single Parenting Struggles
-
Veerendra Vikram Singh •
“Adele Loves Papaya,” McLaren Declares After Pop Icon Poses With Lando Norris’ F1 Car in Las Vegas.
-
Subham Jindal •
“I’m going there for business” – Daniel Ricciardo shots down suggestions of a “meme power couple” with McLaren teammate Lando Norris
-
Veerendra Vikram Singh •
Adrian Newey Refuses to Divulge RB19’s “Secretive Business” to Keep Rivals in the Dark
-
Vidit Dhawan •
Fernando Alonso Claims Sebastian Vettel May Not Have Been Able to Benefit From Aston Martin’s Improved Pace
