The narrative around Michael Chandler and Tony Ferguson continues, as Chandler proposes January 23 date for the fight to take place.
After displaying regular interest in fighting Tony Ferguson, Michael Chandler went quiet after Tony finally challenged him to get on board for a December date. However, according to the recent development, the former Bellator Lightweight champion apparently hasn’t backed out from his desire to debut in UFC against El Cucuy, he is just not on the same page with Ferguson.
Ever since he has appeared in the UFC’s Lightweight scene, Chandler has campaigned he only wants to face Tony Ferguson. Moreover, genuine attempts were made from UFC’s side as well to persuade them for the UFC 254 co-main event, but the match could not materialize.
While each time it was Tony, who resisted to answer the call outs of Chandler, he at last made his intentions clear last week, when he in-turn called out the Iron, for December. Following which, there were speculations about a vehement acceptance from Chandler, but it turns out he is not in for a December bout.
Michael Chandler Responds To Tony Ferguson
Speaking to ESPN, Michael Chandler expressed, he is not willing to accept Tony’s fight on such short notice, but would have no problem if Ferguson accepts to take him on January 23.
“There is a 0% chance I’ll fight Tony Ferguson in December,” Chandler said. “And I 100% know he knew that, because the UFC already told him that, and I’ve already said I’ll see him in January.
“Now that we have Conor fighting Dustin, it looks like that fight will get booked on Jan. 23. They need a co-main event. Why wouldn’t it be Chandler vs. Ferguson?”
Though, earlier it was Chandler who via social media made an appeal to Dana White to book him against Tony for UFC 256 (Dec 12), which also seemingly brought a reaction from Tony Ferguson, who this time made the assertion about closing out the year in style and thereafter wrote, “Michael Chandler you Putz, Ya Asked For It.“
But now it is evident that Michael Chandler wants to defer it to January. He stated that he’s constantly following a training schedule for 9 straight months, and thus needs a break now.
“The UFC didn’t offer me the fight in December, because they know I’m on a timeline now. I just made weight in October. Everybody knows I’m an active fighter and I’m constantly training, but I needed just four weeks off. Essentially, Tony is campaigning for us to fight in 3.5 weeks.
“Tony, you had the opportunity to fight me in October and you said no. You didn’t even bring up fighting in December until it was way past the 11th hour. Let’s be realistic and sign up for Jan. 23. If you think you still have what it takes to fight for a title, fight me on Jan. 23. Why not take that opportunity, instead of muddying the water with this silly stuff?”
So, while this much talked about clash can increase the buyout percentage of any fight night, but if it specifically becomes a part of UFC 257, records surely are going to break. However, it’s too soon to to predict something like that, and as for now let’s see how Tony Ferguson approaches this situation.
Click Here For More UFC News